Tail Cap Switch Cover Bulging/Ballooning

ghurka

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've had my Fenix L1P for several days and I find it to be a great little light. This morning I awoke to find the rubber tail cap switch cover bulging. More like ballooning as it was extending well beyond the tail cap. I suspect the battery is venting. I released the gas and the switch cover returned to normal. A short while later, a small bulge reappeared (flashlight would not stand up candle style). I repeated this several times before completely removing the battery.

The battery is a FUJI 7300 NOVEL super alkaline. The battery was fine for the fist week of operation and then gas. The battery still produces strong light, voltage is 1.335 volts and visually the battery looks fine.

How do I manage battery gas in this gas tight flashligt body? Any possible damage done to the light by this gas pressure?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Through this forum I have rounded out my flashlight collection with a HDS EDC, Arc-AAA-P and of course the Fenix. I've got several Sure Fire lights including the first generation of KL3 heads. Thanks for all the great info found nowhere else!

Dave

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw the battery away NOW! Its no good. Get rid of it before it starts to leak and ruin your light. If it is outgassing that is a bad sign, don't take chances.

jtice

Flashaholic
This is normal if you drain cells down REAL far in the L1P and especially the L2p.

BUT, if its just sitting there, not on, GET RID OF THE CELL !
Its venting even without a load on it, not good.

~John

alberto

Enlightened
This has been reported on these forums a number of times before. As suggested previously, you should get rid of the battery and use something better/different. I use AA lithiums and have never had the problem.

jlomein

Enlightened
semi related question...mini mag's claim to have a vented tailcap to let gas escape. Is this just a marketing feature, or have people actually experienced it working?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think that the minimags venting oring tailcap thingy thing design works. why? so far,my stock black minimag haven't explode yet. neither do i see it suddening dimming down.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minimag doesn't use an O-ring per say. Its sort of V shaped in cross section. It's a really good idea but its patented, and they will sue other manufactures who use it. Too bad because it would be a nice safety feature for small lights like the ARC AAA. I wonder when the patent expires?