Shipping CR123 flashlights loaded with batteries - allowed?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Domestically, there are exceptions for small amounts ofl ithium, which is what you get in a few CR123's, however internationally, those exceptions don't exist. If it is a lithium battery, it is hazmat and has to be declared and labeled accordingly. The only international carrier who will carry hazmat is Fedex.

In other words you can ship a flashlight with lithium batteries by USPS within the USA. In somewhat larger quantities, it can travel on the ground as ORM-D.

AshA4

Banned
I have sent and received lights with alkalines/cr123's with no troubles. You can ask a clerk if it is allowed or refer to one of their signs that state what is ok/banned from mailing.

The last thing you want is for your package to have an "accident" in transit.

Greg

Newly Enlightened
It's probably safer to ship the light without the batteries in it.

As for the batteries themselves, I have had lithiums shipped to me from the states (I'm in Canada), and once had them taken, but they were sent back to me after a few phone calls. After that time, I have had CR123s and Li-ion batteries sent to me with no problems using USPS Global Priority.

Greg

changsn

Newly Enlightened
I think USPS will sometimes consider the battery hazardous. I was asked to remove the battery from a flashlight I was shipping, but the clerk changed her mind when I put on a sad face:candle: and then she said it was probably all right. I think I got lucky.
Sam

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Iocheretyanny,

I always remove the batteries from a flashlight when shipping. I wrap them separately and put them in the box with the light. I declare the package as a flashlight and batteries, with the batteries removed from the light. I let the clerk decide if the contents are dangerous.

Tom

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice..

I had decided to ship the lights with batteris in them, but once I told the clerk she read her rules and determined that it is ok to send batteries but they can't be inside the flashlight, I separated batteries and lights and send them on their way.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
mattheww50 said:
Domestically, there are exceptions for small amounts ofl ithium, which is what you get in a few CR123's, however internationally, those exceptions don't exist. If it is a lithium battery, it is hazmat and has to be declared and labeled accordingly. The only international carrier who will carry hazmat is Fedex.

In other words you can ship a flashlight with lithium batteries by USPS within the USA. In somewhat larger quantities, it can travel on the ground as ORM-D.

I've bought CR123 and Lithium AA cells from batterystation, and these were sent to me by USPS Global Priority.. I'm pretty sure the custom label was listed as batteries, so I'm surprised that this made it to me if it is supposed to be illegal.. :shrug: