casual "throw" test of CR123 lights

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did my own little "throw" shootout in the backyard tonight. I pulled out all of my relevant 2xCR123 lights, and a couple of 3xCR123. I used my back fence, about 100' away as a target.

OK, here are the "throw" rankings, according to my uncalibrated eyeballs, from worst to best.
1. Streamlight TL-2 LED (original version)
2. Pelican M6 LED (original version)
3. Streamlight Scorpion incandescent
4. Streamlight TL-2 LED (2nd generation, regulated version)
4. Nuwai TM115 LED (TL-2 LED essentially tied w/ TM115)
5. Streamlight TL-3 incandescent
6. Maglite 2C (running 3xCR123 and KPR112 bulb)

Notes-
1. The better throwers in each class essentially had slightly smaller hotspots than the lights that they beat. My fence is six feet tall, some hotspots covered the fence completely but some were a bit smaller.

2. The Scorpion was very yellow compared to the others, so probably had older batteries in it. It should throw a bit better than the LED's.

3. The Mag 2C had a tighter spot than the Streamlight TL-3 and put out a lot of light even though it is using an Acrylite diffusion lens instead of a clear ens.

Just for grins, because I have them all assembled in the same place at the same time, here is a size comparison.

Length:
1. Streamlight TL-2 LED (original)
2. Streamlight Scorpion incandescent
3. Nuwai TM115
4. Streamlight TL-2 LED (2nd gen)
5. Pelican M6 LED
6. Streamlight TL-3 incandescent
7. Maglite 2C

#1 and #2 are very close, #3, #4 and #5 are very close, and about 1/4" longer than #1 and #2. #6 is almost an inch longer than #5.

Bezel diameter:
The TM115 and TL-3 have fairly large bezels, the other 4 small lights have small bezels all about the same, although the TL-2 2nd gen. has some ribs on the outside of the bezel that make it a bit larger diameter.

Conclusion:
The TL-2 (original) stays in my garage where I use it when working on my car. The TL-2 (2nd) and the Pelican M6 will probably get the most use, I'll carry them for use on construction sites. The TL-3 and maglite both set by my bed. The TM115 sits near my computer mostly so I can play with it. I bought it intending to use it for camping.

InfidelCastro

Banned
You'll need a longer away distance than 30 yards to really guage actual throw. The TL-3 should stomp all of those lights followed by the Scorpion and the 2C Mag.