LEDBeam 3W 3xC $24 free ship

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is true. Do a search on LEDBeam and you'll see quite a few threads about the light. Also check www.flashlightreviews.com for a review of the light. I have one and love it. I've added a mineral glass lens and soon may add a Kiu ss bezel (it has the same lens size as the MagD lights). Lux III emitter, long battery life, great throw, nice light.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
AND...

CLEARANCE SPECIAL - $23.95 PLUS FREE SHIPPING, LIMITED QUANTITIES (U.S. only) - Order 3 and receive an additional $6.00 discount

WNG

Enlightened
Thanks for the news!
Just picked one up, this is a good deal. Almost bought a Blaster -1R for $28 w/shipping before reading this thread. Definitely best bang for the buck.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll be very pleased with the output quality from this light, it's probably got the highest overall output of any single Lux 3 light or upgrade that is currently on the market. The light itself is patterned somewhat after a Mag, though the quality of the light body and switch is not quite up to the same standards as a Mag, but should be adequate for use in non-industrial levels (e.g. home, car, camping, etc.) Unlike the Mag, the focus is fixed, so it has a nice spot with very usable sidespill and you won't have to worry about donut hole effect that you get from focusable lights. Don't know why it is being marketed as "clearance" though, as this light appears to be that company's only product.

WNG

Enlightened
Thanks for the informative review, Brighteyez!

I wanted a decent-runtime 3W thrower....was planning to get a 3C Mag and try the Diamond drop-in, until the thread on people experiencing them dying.
I like the fact the emitter is properly heat-sinked in the LEDBeam.

I look forward to comparing it to my larger lights for throw: a Blaster-3P, an old 3D Mag running the Craftsman 1W PR mod, and a stock 4D Mag.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I inherited 2 of these that were evaulated as potential candidates for an industrial use application; they're going to look at the Mag offerings when they become available. The LEDBeams run quite well on NiMH C batteries and the output is not distinguishable from the output from alkalines. Their throw is almost that of a 3D Mag incandescent with a Xenon bulb, but the output is much more usable. I'm going to guess that it would probably outthrow a Mag 3C incandescent. I have compared it to a Mag 3D with the Craftsman module, and it far exceeds that in output. One word of caution though, the output can be a little inconsistent, each of the 4 that were evaluated seem to have different characteristics in beam output that could probably be attributed to the position of the mounting in relationship to the reflector, one had a little lower output than the other three.

WNG said:
Thanks for the informative review, Brighteyez!

I wanted a decent-runtime 3W thrower....was planning to get a 3C Mag and try the Diamond drop-in, until the thread on people experiencing them dying.
I like the fact the emitter is properly heat-sinked in the LEDBeam.

I look forward to comparing it to my larger lights for throw: a Blaster-3P, an old 3D Mag running the Craftsman 1W PR mod, and a stock 4D Mag.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chronos and Brighteyez, or anyone who has one of these lights, Can you remove the reflector, and if so, do you know what size it is? i am going to order a glass lens and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a reflector. Thanks

-bobby

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nakahoshi, the LEDbeam's lens and reflectors are exactly the same size as a Mag C cell or D cell. So if there is a replacement reflector or lens for a Mag D or C, it will work in the LEDbeam.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone dissambled one of these? I'd LOVE to send it off for HAIII anodizing... Is it possible to remove the emitter assembly and the switch?

I managed to drop my LEDBeam on a hike a few weeks ago and dented the bezel. I have a spare silver Maglite bezel and it fits, but my mineral glass lens rattled. I added a second o-ring to the bezel and no more rattling. It now looks like it is some type of Maglite prototype- hey, there's an idea to start spreading rumors on the 'net...

I can unscrew the head of the LEDBeam to create more of a spill if wanted, but it is similar to the standard Mag's in that you'll end up with a dark doughnut hole.

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
The Mag reflector needs to be camless or have the cam cut off to work on the LEDBeam. The cut just needs to be close as the reflector rests lip to lip on top of the flashlight head vice on the heat sink. The light can be focused by loosening the set screw on top of the heatsink and sliding the heat sink/luxeon up or down as needed. It's a trial and error method because the reflector must be removed to access the screw.
The Mag bezel and lens do indeed fit; with the bezel being slighty undersized. The lens are identical on my Mag 4D and LEDBeam.
Regards,
Greg
w7zmzm.jpg

w7zn8n.jpg

w7zngw.jpg

w7zp6w.jpg

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Mags, and gb6491.
and Chronos,

"Has anyone dissambled one of these? I'd LOVE to send it off for HAIII anodizing... Is it possible to remove the emitter assembly and the switch?"

great idea, i was thinking the same thing

-bobby
Edit (hey, my 100th post, That was friggin expensive...)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't bother. The quality of the aluminum isn't that great.

nakahoshi said:
"Has anyone dissambled one of these? I'd LOVE to send it off for HAIII anodizing... Is it possible to remove the emitter assembly and the switch?"

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
I wouldn't bother. The quality of the aluminum isn't that great.

Agreed to the quality of the Al, but as I take it with me on hikes, geocaches, and climbs I'd love to give it a $15 HAIII finish to make it a little more durable. I'll do the HAIII to a few Mags too.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chronos, or anyone planning on getting this light HA'd. has anyone been able to remove the slug and the lux, and the switch? before i break anything i am wondering if anyone has taken this apart. I just got it today, and its a pretty solid. And thats an awful heavy chunk of aluminium in the head, very cool.
-bobby

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chronos said:
Has anyone dissambled one of these? I'd LOVE to send it off for HAIII anodizing... Is it possible to remove the emitter assembly and the switch?

Not yet, and I haven't had much time lately to try. It is quite the assembly, isn't it?

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, its very solid, the slug looks like its their for good, oh well, just hope someone can figure it out.
-bobby

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
If you loosen the set screw on top of the plug, you should be able to remove the plug.
w7zngw.jpg

I do know you can move the plug up and down in the tube to focus the light. I don't remember (sorry, too many inebriant beverages and resultant dead brain cells) if I took the plug all the way out when I was refocusing my light; most likely I just pulled it out far enough to see how it tightened in the barrel (Ball bearing?). I'd check for you, but I have mine focused well and it's kind of a pain to do again.
Regards.
Greg

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the slug, their is some kind of reddish epoxy, thats whats in the hole, did you have to remove that stuff first?
thanks

-bobby

p.s. Tonight was my first night out with the light, and WOW what a thrower! its such a bargain!!!