Cleaning the lense of an A2

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
I've just got a A2 a week or so ago. Anyways, how do you clean the inside of the lense? Do you need to unscrew the LED ring to do so? Or can you just remove the lenses without messing with the rest of the bezel-because I do see a ring around the bezel right under where it says "Caution Hot Surface". Thanks in advance

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried removing the window, but I imagine it would go something like this: unscrew the bezel, remove the lamp, remove the LED ring, boil the bezel in a ziploc bag for a couple of minutes to loosen the loctite, use two strap wrenches to remove the bezel ring.

If that sounds like a lot of work, maybe you could just fit a q-tip in there to clean whatever is bugging you. :)

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
leukos said:
If that sounds like a lot of work, maybe you could just fit a q-tip in there to clean whatever is bugging you. :)

That IS alot of work. So besides that there is no way to clean some dust on the inside of the lens? :mad:

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
Leuko's 2nd method works fine w/out too much work.
Just take the head off, remove the bulb and insert a Q-tip that has a little (very little) rubbing alcohol on it and swab it around the inside of the lens a little. No need to get the bezel ring off or anything else.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
pkennethv,

For myself, I have used pressurized air(for keyboard cleaning?) to flush out any dust inside the unreachable area of the bezel, and it works for me everytime without leaving any trace. However, I'd hear people have problems with their kind of pressurized air which will leave a mark/trace on the reflector. So feel free to give it a try if you are certain about what you are using will be fine. :)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could also try rigging a plastic straw to a vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out. Seems to work ok.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Careful not to touch the reflector. Did it on my G2 with skin prep alcohol and now the darn things got a scar and it's purple in colour.