My Surefire L5 becomes dimmer, is it normal?

nuw040

Newly Enlightened
My L5 's output which do not as bright as new and the head do not as hot as before.

Is it normal?

Please help.
Thank You

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can quantify "dimmer", it would be of great help. Lux V do not have good lumen maintenance unlike the single die Luxeons. Depending on how long and how often you've used it (and if it gets used at high ambient temps) then it's possible the LED is going through its normal lumen depreciation. But since you mention it doesn't get hot, there could also be some problem with the driver. You need to give more details.

BBL

Enlightened
CM said:
Lux V do not have good lumen maintenance unlike the single die Luxeons
I thought LuxV had 500hrs vs. several thousand for the LuxIII?

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about the life of the lux V, I used my L5 for 3 years, every night for over an hours and it's still bright and hot like new, except the clicky, change it 3 times.
You need to change battery and clean the thread, that all. If still not bright, change the clicky.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
glockboy said:
[snip]except the clicky, change it 3 times... If still not bright, change the clicky.

Is that the Z58 clickie? Is this clickie really that bad?

BTW I heard the Z48 is a much better clickie with fewer problems, is that true?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Z48/Z49/SW02 Clickies are significantly more robust (and larger as a result).

regarding the L5, if it's not the batteries then the KL5 bezel could be faulty - in which case I suggest you call SureFire.

Al

rookie

Enlightened
I had the same problem with an L5, and when I changed the batteries, it was bright again.

nc987

Enlightened
Yeah my lights always get dimmer right before i buy a brighter one.....

JanCPF

Enlightened
nuw040,
If you have a pair of those solar eclipse gogles or welding glasses, try to look through them directly at the Luxeon (*DON'T* do it with your naked eye :rolleyes: ). You should see 4 seperate squares lighting up with equal brightness (Where is that picture?). If one or more of the dies are dimmer than the rest, you've got a faulty Lux V on your hands.

KDOG3,
The L5 is very reliable, and very few defects have been reported here on CPF - Don't worry :).

Jan

Last edited:

nuw040

Newly Enlightened
Thank You everybody.

I cleaned the clickie by using electronic conductor cleaner (The red pointed area). And it work very well right now.

Please see the photo about the parts inside a clickie.

http://www.pbase.com/nuw040/image/59138458

I tried to post the photo many times but still fail.
sorry guys

Thanks

Last edited: