Can a TLE-5 be ran on NiMh's?

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
I've been running a TLE-5 side-emitter on 2500mA Energizers for some time now with good results, however my new TLE-5 high-dome showed some drama on its first set of batteries. After around an hour of intermitent use(freshly charged NiMh's), the light suddenly went dim(<50%) and continued dimming for the next minute are so down to about 25%. At this point I turned it off(concerned about the rapid decline in output). I checked the batteries one cell was at 1.21v and the other at .90v. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the .9v cell's negative end was imploded(dimpled in-word) and the contact surface appeared to have a very mild melt spot in the middle. Did the cell get damaged by the TLE-5 or is the cell defective? I've used these cells in other lights with no problems in the past. Any opinion would be much appreciated:) !

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
An AAMag with the TLE-5 setup can surely be run on NiMhs, but depending on individual AAMag bodies the NiMhs may not even fit into the tube. If you force them in, you'll have to heat up the tube to have the batteries removed. Not good.

I too have two Enegizer 2500s just for use on flashlights. Very nice performance IMO (these cells are Sanyo OEMs afterall) but again they don't fit into just any AAMag. As for the negative contact I don't notice any implosions/melt spots etc., only circular scratch marks made by the tailcap's spring.

Maybe try another two 2500s and see what happens.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
chrome-addict,

I have used both the old and new TLE5 and they both work fine with Nimh batteries. I think what might have happened is one of the cell is getting really low in voltage and the light might be falling out of regulation(I don't think their regulation are perfect, and I ususally charge my batteries after an hour of use for any type of my minimag mods)

Another possibility of pre-mature dimming of the mod could be the minimag might have turned itself on while it was in your pocket or in shealth. Personally, I do strongly recommend the use of a clickie to prevent this(since you could turn off the light 'twice' by clickie and twist-off).

And yazkaz got a good point--try another set of batteries, and see what happened. If the problem presist, check all the contact points and make sure they are clean. Good luck! :)

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reason for the AAMag's inadvertent turn-on is due to a worn-out o-ring below the bezel-to-body threads. This has happened a few times when carrying the AAMag in a belt sheath. A new o-ring and some silicon gel on the threads solve the problem nicely.

Personally, I would simply forget the twisty switch mech if a tail switch is in place. Since with a high dome LED module upgrade (TLE-5 or sandwich pill) there's no need for beam focusing, a new o-ring would "fixate" the bezel very well. Another reason is that in the case of plastic reflectors, forfeiting the twisty switch relieves the pressure acted against the emitter's base so as not to break the reflector during switchoff.

I agree that the TLE-5's (semi-)regulation is not favored by some people and that such people would rather prefer custom sandwich pills for super regulation. Unfortunately, sandwich pills are detrimental to the wallets of many of us here.