The best mag mod I have seen

cosine

Newly Enlightened
I'll bet it's classified as AOW and taxed accordingly. Does it still function as a light?

jbg23

Newly Enlightened
correct on the aow... says it is a working flashlight too.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I to understand that to use the flashlight, you'd be pointing a loaded gun at yourself or at unknown things/people behind you? Seems to me that that's the sort of thing you're not supposed to do...

jbg23

Newly Enlightened
Yes, correct this is a dangerous silly device. I see it as more of a cool novelty item, not something that I would buy.

TorchMan

Enlightened
First off, what does it mean, AOW? It seems more like a cold war era spy item than anything else. Talk about exploding cells!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
AOW=Any Other Weapon. Basically anything covered by the 1934 NFA that isn't a machine gun, short-barreled gun, or destructive device (grenade launcher, cannon, etc). Most AOW's are "gadget guns", like pen guns or flashlight guns. Requires a special transfer form and tax stamp to own one. Not common.

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
This is the kinda thing that gives the law enforcement community fits.

There is also a minimag-type version.

Can't see why any normal citizen would want to carry something like that. If you want a gun, carry a gun.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
LeDfLaShEr said:
This is the kinda thing that gives the law enforcement community fits.
:huh2:

Senator Feinstein maybe, but the LE community doesn't really have anything to fear (rationally) from this sort of thing. To get an AOW you're taxed, background checked, and fingerprinted. Only responsible, law abiding citizens will have one of these. Of course, there's the possibility of home-built things, but these happen regardless of legally commercially available ones.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz is right. Legally-made AOWs aren't easy to get, and usually are tracable. Legal owners or builders don't want to sell them illegally, since the paper trail will end with them and they'd end up being bubba's girlfriend in prison.

On the other hand, there have been companies in Eastern Europe making stuff like this. Now and then they show up in the US. Imported illegally, no one knows where they come from.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think his point was that only a responsible, law abiding citizen is going to pay the money, fill out all the paperwork, and jump through all the government hoops to obtain this highly controlled item via legitimate channels. Just offering them for sale is not a significant threat to LEOs.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blazer said:
You can't be serious...:rolleyes: That's pretty naive thinking.
Perhaps you would explain to me how anybody else would come by something that requires a clean criminal record, fingerprinting, background checks, a $200 tax stamp (which takes several months to process and might be declined--and not refunded--for any reason), an authorized FFL transfer, and serial numbers on the item.

I'm more worried about people who drive with one hand holding their cell phone to their ear.

Besides...
aresdefense.com/faqs.htm said:
Flashlight Firearms:
We occasionally receive requests for information regarding a product formerly manufactured by Ares Defense Systems. The Companion product has not been produced in 6-7 years. Very few were ever manufactured; all were registered with BATF as "AOW" (Any Other Weapon) per NFA guidelines and all were transfered with ATF approval to Federally licensed dealers possessing a Special Occupational Tax stamp. We do not manufacture, advertise, sell or support this product.

Timson

Enlightened
Highly illegal in the UK!

Scary enough peoply carrying firearms around - but disguised as something innocent ! :thumbsdow

Tim.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Perhaps you would explain to me how anybody else would come by something that requires a clean criminal record, fingerprinting, background checks, a $200 tax stamp (which takes several months to process and might be declined--and not refunded--for any reason), an authorized FFL transfer, and serial numbers on the item.
Most criminals get things the old fashioned way. They steal them.