opinions on minimag mod?

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple minimags, and decided I want to mod one of them, either the AA, or AAA.

I kinda lilke the AAA more because its a little more compact, but if im gonna put a few bucks into one of them, im thinking maybe I should use the AA? being it would have better runtime and a maybe a little brighter.

I just cant decide which one to mod? any help?

im going to use this kit (with the reflector), http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/smjled.htm

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, does the SMJ-led count as "mod? ;)
I have some as emergency lights (the lithium-batts will survive storage very long), but for USE I would not like them.

Here any NiCad/Mh-mod is better and brighter (terralux for simplicity, sandwich for output and better cooling --> prospective lightspan)

best: a homemade sandwich setup for the runtime/output best fitting the user.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I think for the AAA Minimag, the SMJ with a self-modded reflector is one of the best bet for it.

As for AA minimags, there are a good selection/combination for how you could mod it for your specific use. For more details, please do feel free to visit my humble Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag mod.

Good luck with your search! :)

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I liked the smjled mod because its so easy and CHEAP. Im not sure I want to put a bunch of money into it, I think I would sooner buy a new, regulated light.

Ill keep looking around.

Timson

Enlightened
AA MiniMag with Kroll, glass lens, SMJLED, Lithium AA's and a McR20 reflector(extravagant) makes for a cracking little light with a beautiful smooth white beam that runs forever. :)

Tim

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
Timson said:
AA MiniMag with Kroll, glass lens, SMJLED, Lithium AA's and a McR20 reflector(extravagant) makes for a cracking little light with a beautiful smooth white beam that runs forever. :)

Tim

kroll?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kroll switch with plastic threads are no good IMO, avoid if possible. For tail switch the TCS-1 (reverse clickie) is a good choice.

An McR20 won't fit the AAMag's bezel without machining. Use an McR18 with o-ring 18 instead.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you'll have to resort to custom sandwich modules which you can specify various types of regulation boards.

Custom sandwich pills... lots of investment, lots of (hard) handywork. If you want simplicity, get a TLE-5 instead.

jlomein

Enlightened
yellow said:
Here any NiCad/Mh-mod is better and brighter (terralux for simplicity, sandwich for output and better cooling --> prospective lightspan)

Are you saying the Terralux TLE-5 does not have adequate cooling, ie: it runs very hot? I just ordered one and was going to install it soon.

Also, has anyone used the following clickie tailcap? Good? Is the red button plastic or rubber?

tcs1-l.jpg

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any LED module will run hot after prolonged use. As for the TLE-5, not really that hot IMO, just be sure not to touch the emitter.

As mentioned, the TCS-1 is a reverse clickie. It's available at Zbattery.com for less than $4 ea. Build quality is only average, but it works very well. I must admit the flimsy red rubber switch cover doesn't look good at all, wish it was made of black checkered rubber.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
jlomein,I have never experienced any heat problems with the TLE-5 installed in a minimag. A couple hours of conintuous run and still the head of the flashlight is only slightly warm to the touch.

That tail switch that you have pictured is made by Terralux, and the red cover is indeed rubber. All of mine function well. As Yazkaz has already stated, I also wish it was a black cover in stead of that cheesy red. It just doesn't go well with some of the minimag colors.

Athough it is correct that you can get these tail cap switches for $3.75 from Zbattery, the shipping will cost you a little over $6.00. IMHO, better to pay $5.95 at LED-replacement and get the free shipping via first class mail.

I also have a couple of the Nite Ize tail cap switches, (not the new IQ switch) and they work very well too. They are solid black and have diamond knurling on the OD. No rubber switch cover tho, so I doubt they are water resistant.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Another suggestion, if you will, is to go with the drop-in components from The Sandwich Shoppe, instead of the "cheap" upgrades which doesn't fulfill nor satisfy in light output. Then again, Your Methods May Vary. :huh:

Enjoy!

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I think I would rather buy a cheap/regulated luxeon light instead of putting 30+ dollars into a minimag. But I still might put in the SMJ just for the heck of it...

how would that led compare to the stock beam?

CLHC

Flashaholic
The Sandwhich Shoppe drop-in pills are Luxeons. Lux IIIs to be sure and very bright!

trivergata

Enlightened
A sandwich is the best way to go - I have several that I've built and love them - IMHO it's the best way to go - and don't forget a 2-stage switch!

Josh

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no better drop-in for the AAA than the SMJLED, but plenty of other options for the AA. The AAA is much more impressive (and useful) due to its small size, though runtime is much shorter, at "only" ~10 hours on lithiums rather than 35, so operational cost is higher.

I'd put a brighter mod in the AA.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Bozzlite said:
jlomein,I have never experienced any heat problems with the TLE-5 installed in a minimag. A couple hours of conintuous run and still the head of the flashlight is only slightly warm to the touch.
This may be because:
  • The TerraLux drop-in is not seriously overdriving the Lux, so not a lot of heat is generated, or
  • The TerraLux drop-in is overdriving the Lux but the thermal path between the module, the battery tube and the head are not efficient enough - this would be bad on the Lux on the long run
So, a luke-warm light may not necessarily mean heat is being adequately managed to prolong emitter lifespan.

Incidentally, I just picked up a white Nite-Ize LED drop-in, and I'm pleasantly surprised with it. If you don't need a uber bright light and appreciate longer runtimes, this may be a worthwhile drop-in to get.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still loving my two way switch that Josh modds....really makes the light so much more versatile!