Maglite LED

Chopper

Newly Enlightened
I just saw this and wanted to beat everyone else to post it
nana.gif
. I've been a viewer of this forum for a long time and never felt "enlightened" enough to join. But I'm looking forward to becoming a flashaholic
happy14.gif

www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.4675/id.236/subID.241/qx

www.action-lights.com/product_detail-4504.asp?bhjs=0

BTW, I just ordered my complete set of TerraLux upgrades for my Mags after much deliberation and now I'm hesitating keeping them. Should I return them and buy the "official" upgrades? I also have a Dorcy 1W 3AAA should I upgrade to the 123CR or are they close in specs?

P.S. excuse my rambling but remember I'm a newbiee

Protaeus

Enlightened
Hi Chopper, welcome to CPF!!!

The Mag LEDS should be about the same brightness as the terralux ones so you dont have to worry about it!

Cant really help you concerning the Dorcy's but I trust others can.

Don't worry, you'll soon be spending more money on flashlights that you never thought possible soon enough :)

You should take a look at the Mag85 or ROP on the forums - Lots of light in a maglite disguise.

Also, take a look at www.flashlightreviews.com
It will have everything you need on most flashlights, not to mention that it is run by a member of these forums, quickbeam.

Hope you have fun with your flashlights :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Chopper:)

Welcome here. I think, you should be carefull with this kind of replacement.
They wrote in their specs about energy managment, but nothing about HEAT MANAGMENT. The heat will be a problem.
The normaly lifetime of a Lux III, if it's not overdriven, is 50000-100000 hours.
They wrote about 10000 hours. If so, it will be o.k. for that price.
But I think it will fail much earlyier.

Best regards

_______
Tom

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang, you could wait for a few months more for magled to be release but of course, no one knows if they are gonna be good.(but at leat they are cheaper then the replacement led and the maglite added together)

steve_vance

Enlightened
Chopper said:
I just saw this and wanted to beat everyone else to post it
nana.gif
. I've been a viewer of this forum for a long time and never felt "enlightened" enough to join. But I'm looking forward to becoming a flashaholic
happy14.gif

www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.4675/id.236/subID.241/qx

www.action-lights.com/product_detail-4504.asp?bhjs=0

BTW, I just ordered my complete set of TerraLux upgrades for my Mags after much deliberation and now I'm hesitating keeping them. Should I return them and buy the "official" upgrades? I also have a Dorcy 1W 3AAA should I upgrade to the 123CR or are they close in specs?

P.S. excuse my rambling but remember I'm a newbiee

Actually, no, don't return the Terralux ones.....They're really good but most of them are one-watters, and their 3-watt module is not regulated. So when the mags come out, and you buy them too, you won't have duplication. Mag's 2aa and 3aa lights will be regulated 3-watt, just like the bigger Mag lights. By the way, here is the release schedule for the Mags:
1. first to be released will be the 2D models, shipping to dealers May 15th
2. next to ship will be the 3D and 4D models, about 2 weeks after that
3. C-cell lights will ship probably in June, followed by the last to ship: the AA lights, probably end of June or beginning of July.

the lights all use something that Mag is calling the Efficient Energy Management System, as I understand it it's semi-regulation, designed to give you both the "wow" of initial brightness and decent maintenance of brightness throughout most of the battery's useful life. I wou;dn't be surprised if the runtime curve looks a lot like the Terralux TLE-5, which Quickbeam dubs "semi-regulation".

Another by-the-way: Mark, the owner of Action Lights, is now accepting orders for the new mags, and his prices are the lowest being offered by any dealer. I've dealt with him before, his company is trustable and reliable.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
to be correct:
they will use 3 watt LEDs, but will run AT BEST on one watt (look at the info on the mags at the linked shop),
because anything under 5 hours runtime (if regulated) will not be accepted by the prospective customers.

and, as it seems, there will be the usual "one-year-delay" as with the last 3 years. The led-models have been proposed for the shot-show, then in spring, now somewhen in june/july. They wont hit the market again this year.

steve_vance

Enlightened
yellow said:
to be correct:
they will use 3 watt LEDs, but will run AT BEST on one watt (look at the info on the mags at the linked shop),
because anything under 5 hours runtime (if regulated) will not be accepted by the prospective customers.

and, as it seems, there will be the usual "one-year-delay" as with the last 3 years. The led-models have been proposed for the shot-show, then in spring, now somewhen in june/july. They wont hit the market again this year.

Unfortunately, I believe the 5-hr runtime will be achieved, but only by using the "usable light" saw that so many mfgrs use: if you look at the runtime curve on Quickbeam's sight for the Terralux TLE-5, you'll see what I mean. But according to Mag, they will all be "true 3-watt lights", not underdriven to extend runtime. The Mag AA will produce about 1 1/2-2 hours of fairly bright light, followed by another 3 hours of declining output; at about the 5-hour point it will be only enough light to read a newspaper by. Ditto for their other lights, but with longer initial brightness. This is in sharp contrast to a light with true regulation (check runtime plot for Inova T3 or UK 4AA), where output remains virtually unchanged, then drops off suddenly to almost zero. Mag's justification: the performance of a semi-regulated circuit is superior to the runtime characteristic of an incandescent (Mag) light, but is similar in character: a period of initial brightness, followed by gradual decline. Mag feels that this is ok since it is inline with the expectation of most people who would purchase a Mag LED (primarily people who own Mag incandescents).
With respect to shipping, according to the national sales manager of Mag, who was nice enough to converse with me several times over the last few weeks, the shipping times I quoted are fairly firm.

To be fair, in my conversations with the fellow at Mag, it's fair to say that he IS NOT a flashaholic, he does not have the depth of knowledge regarding LED lights that some of us here at CPF have. But he has been really nice, patiently answering all of my questions to the best of his ability. And this IS a first step for Mag.....no doubt there will be a growth process, just as with other manufacturers.
Bottom line: be charitable, Mag is at least making a step in the right direction, And their introdusction of LED lights will help all of us, by advancing the cause in which we so strongly believe.
I guess we'll all see, won't we?:lolsign: