another linux question edited added question

raggie33

*the raggedier*
far as security when im logeed in as root can some one use my pc over the interet? i have a guest account but right now im doing stuff as root far as updates .im just worried some one will put a server on my pc .i switched from puppy linux to pclinoxos last night.never could get puppy to not add extra letters i have enough trouble typeing lol

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: another linux question

It depends on what you're doing. Anything that connects to the internet, such as Firefox or X-Chat, can have a vulnerability that would be especially dangerous if you were running them as root. Rule of thumb is, whenever doing anything administrative, try to do as much as you can as a normal user, and switch to root to do the things you can *only* do as root. If you work in the terminal, use sudo instead of su, to prevent yourself from accidentally running commands as root, too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: another linux question

is root any less safe then being admin on win xp?.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol im back to puppy linux but it still adds extra letter cause i leave finger on key yo long grrr man its way to sensative i sw keyboard stuff on jwm config but it didnt do anything .any other ways to make it so the keys wont add more letter if i dont move finger fast enough