MAC Ibook G4 and Visioneer Scanner

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - My daughter will be in a new "laptop" program at school this fall. The basic deal is that the "typical" laptop will be an Apple Mac iBook G4 with MS Office. It is possible to also use a PC laptop, but the teachers will know / use / be best prepared to help the students with MAC. In the interest of compatibility with the school system, our plan is to follow the pack.

I mostly know the DOS / Windows world, but have a little exposure (not really experience) with Linux, not command lines, etc. I have almost no experience with MACs, but I suppose I can learn anything if needed.

I am trying to figure out if our existing scanner and printers will work with the MAC. From the HP site, it appears that there are drivers which will work.

We also have a Visoneer one touch 8920 USB scanner. The Visoneer.com web site only references various versions of windows for their scanners, not MAC at all, which seems strange.

I looked at the Apple web site, and I am getting the indication that maybe the MAC does not need drivers for TWAIN compatible scanners at all. Does that sound right to you guys ?

Thanks

HarryN

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is mac software kind of like Linux - it has generic drivers which sort of work for any similar device ? Or more like windows and needs specific drivers for each device to work properly ?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
check at www.hamrick.com and see if VueScan is supported for that particular scanner make/model/number. If so it's a reliable piece of software. I've used it with older up through G3 (still old!) Macs for years.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
you were right in the first place, if it follows the twain standard then you wont need any other drivers unless the scanner has some extra features that aren't part of the standard set.

You should be able to just plugit in and startup the image capture app that comes with the system. If that doesn't recognize it then there are other generic drivers you can try, the site hank linked to above is an excellent resource and also a really great piece of software if the built in image capture app doesn't do it for you.