Single Vs. Array of LEDs

amanichen

Enlightened
I've been browsing for a few weeks now and I had a few questions regarding LEDs.

About a year ago I picked up one of these:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_5/601-8401660-5126501?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0007LSDQK

(I know, not everybody is a big fan of the Coast made lights. I even had to disassemble the head and replace the two tiny gold coils inside the switch housing because I was getting flickering problems...but this is another story for another day.)

The package says it consumes about 90mW of power, and through my own quick test, the five 5mm white LEDs actually do consume ~90mW.

So my question is: I've been considering getting a new light with a white, 1.25W luxeon. How does a 1.25W, compare to an array of "normal" high output LEDs (both running alkaline AAA)? Will the light output be significantly greater than five 5mm whites? I know the power consumption is much greater, but I also expect the efficiency to be lower as well.

Thanks for any information you have.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm not sure about the Coast light, but the Inova X5 which uses 5x Nichia CS 5mm LEDs compares very favorably to the Fenix L1P, which is a 1W Luxeon light (and a very good one, at that). Take a look at this review by UnknownVT for beamshots and a comparison: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114085

In general, Luxeon lights will throw better (X5 vs. L1P, for example) than 5mm, although I'm sure there are examples where this is not the case.

Other good lights at Target (aside from the X5) you might want to look at are the Inova X1 with reflector, and River Rock 0.5W 2AAA light. The Dorcy LED lights are supposed to be pretty good too. From what I hear, the Brinkmann Maxfire LX isn't bad either... but I prefer Surefire.

Oh, and welcome to CPF!

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you talking about an overdriven Lux1 to 1.25watts or a LuxIII underdriven to only 1.25 watts? In either case the Lux will have more flux (lumen output) than the 5mm's at rated current.
Efficiency increases the more you underdrive the lux's, so a LuxIII driven at 1.25watts will be more efficient than a LuxI driven at 1.25watts.

amanichen

Enlightened
carrot said:
I'm not sure about the Coast light, but the Inova X5 which uses 5x Nichia CS 5mm LEDs compares very favorably to the Fenix L1P, which is a 1W Luxeon light (and a very good one, at that). Take a look at this review by UnknownVT for beamshots and a comparison: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114085
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Other good lights at Target (aside from the X5) you might want to look at are the Inova X1 with reflector, and River Rock 0.5W 2AAA light. The Dorcy LED lights are supposed to be pretty good too. From what I hear, the Brinkmann Maxfire LX isn't bad either... but I prefer Surefire.
Thanks. I'm trying to get as much light as possible out of a small package 1" diameter, and 6" or less on the length. I have fairly strict requirements so I'm not asking anybody here to go shopping for me, I'm just trying to get an idea of whether it'll be worth it buying a new one.

Oh, and welcome to CPF!
Thanks again =)

Morelite said:
Are you talking about an overdriven Lux1 to 1.25watts or a LuxIII underdriven to only 1.25 watts?
That's a good question, but I don't know the answer, in fact I didn't even know there were two types of luxeons, or that 1.25W wasn't a standard power.

In either case the Lux will have more flux (lumen output) than the 5mm's at rated current.
Thanks. Is the difference significant enough to invest $30-$50 US to replace the one I currently have?

Array of low power LEDs typically offers superior efficiency and a good output, but a single source LED can be collimated better.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
49 led torch 3AA very similar output to Fenix L2P / L1P in lighting up back garden.

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Coast 1.25W V2 that is similar to the 5LED one you already have. I find it is very useful for close to medium range use. A good bright beam with a nice gradual transition from brighter center out into the side spill. As a matter of fact, it's my EDC at work (I am on night shift) although I also tend to carry a Dorcy 1W 3D about half the time when I think I need extra throw. Although many disparage the Coast lights, I think it's beam is my favorite except for throw. I wish I could find something with a similar beam but about 3 times the range.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
Array of low power LEDs typically offers superior efficiency and a good output, but a single source LED can be collimated better.
Yes, and slightly underdriven low power arrays will have greater output than fewer LEDs using the same total amount of power. For myself the added complexity starts to turn me off above ten LEDs, though.

amanichen

Enlightened
DonShock said:
Although many disparage the Coast lights, I think it's beam is my favorite except for throw. I wish I could find something with a similar beam but about 3 times the range.
Yeah, I'm wanting something that's both brighter and with more throw than this Coast light. I'm hoping that a single LED with a proper reflector will have better throw. This Coast light has lots of sidespill, making it lousy at range.

I've semi-narrowed down my search to these two:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_led005s.htm
(currently $11.99)

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/taskforce_1w3aaa.htm
(currently $19.99)

The 0.5W one from Advanced is a pretty good deal, and it's more compact, but I have a feeling it won't be much brighter than my Coast light. Since I'm looking for more intensity, I think the Task Force will be better, but it's output drops rapidly.

EDIT:

I'm also looking at this one:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

It looks like it might be the best of the three, albeit with the highest price. Is it worth $30?

Last edited: