maintace schedule on a ford ranger 94 all done thanks god

raggie33

*the raggedier*
opps i mean mazda but there the same truck its the 2.3 litter moter i put plugs in it about 40k miles ago and replaced the belts and hoses . what do ya think it will need now?well just got done today manit kicked my but.
i replaced all 8 plugs the plug wires .the serpenitine belt .the water punp and gasket thermostat and gasket timeing belt and idler pully all hoese and flsed sustem out but i had leak at themostat gaket and a course we didnt decide to do timeing belt to later. but im done now and its running lol running beter gues the plugs was a tad fouled but they looke goood for the milage

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re: maintace schedule on a ford ranger 94

I have a 1995 ranger with the 2.3L engine. I'll take a look at the manual this evening when I get home from work.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

cool man i dont like the plugs in my dads it has 8 and some was hard to get to

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its not a bad idea to inspect some of the items and see what they look like to give you a better idea whats going on in your engine. Some things the service can be delays if they are in good shape.

Oil is one that can be put off, 3 or 6 thousand miles depending on its condition. I like to change as it turns brown to black depending on gas or diesel. My van has 2500 miles on the last oil change and it was brown with a nasty gas smell. It got changed. My dads diesel mercedes he goes 6 thousand or 6 months, which ever is first.

Ive had quite a few people tell me not to touch a well working automatic transmission filter or fluid change unless it acts up. The book I have says 24 thousand miles or two years to service it. Not a bad idea, filter every two years and the fluid too unless you burn it. My fluid was brown, much like the engine oil. Its not red like its supposed and I know from inspecting the oil pan the condition of the tranny.

VWTim

Enlightened

Preventative fluid changes on the tranny is a good call. If you don't run the truck hard/tow then 30K intervals are usually suffucient. Also Fuel filters every 30K or so.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

how many miles on the timing belt on that pinto engine?
thats a common "forgotten" item.it wil strand you if it jumps.at least these pinto engines are not an inteference design.or i was lucky on the 20 or so i bought as a kid and fixed.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

The Ranger engine has a timing chain which does not require regular replacement.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

raggie33 said:
opps i mean mazda but there the same truck its the 2.3 litter moter i put plugs in it about 40k miles ago and replaced the belts and hoses . what do ya think it will need now?

OK - I'm trying to remember - I sold mine a couple of years ago - You REALLY want to change the timing belt about every 60K miles - the 2.3 IS an interference engine from what I understand - IF you have AC in the truck, this is a non trivial job - Hint? When you change the timing belt, you may as well do the water pump, as the amount of extra work is neglegible - about 15 minutes, and just the cost of the part - prevents you from having to pull everything for the timing belt to do the waterpumps

Other than that, a rusted out spring mount, and oil and brakes, the previous owner and I put 260K miles on it before I sold it (previous owner is a good freind)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

idleprocess said:
The Ranger engine has a timing chain which does not require regular replacement.

No - it's not - the 2.3 that is in the 1994 is a belt - LOTS of good miles on the one I sold (260K when I sold it - My Brother in Law owns it now)

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i changed all the belts and timeing belt 40 to 45 k ago and hoses

idleprocess

Flashaholic

There must have been a change from 1994 to 1995 on the 2.3L engine; there's no mention of timing belt replacement in my manual.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

idleprocess said:
There must have been a change from 1994 to 1995 on the 2.3L engine; there's no mention of timing belt replacement in my manual.

Yeah - because if I remember right, it's not IN th owners manual!! Get the Haynes or other service manual...

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i know an 89 still has the "rubberband"
i have the neighbors ranger here for an ignition issue.likely a bad tfi unit.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good luck there. Its hard to reach anything in my van and just the tranny filter and fluid, engine fluid and filter, air filter ran me 207 bucks. I am on the fence about flushing the cooling system and replacing the mechanical thermastat rather it needs it not and removing the rust colored water. The meter on the dash board reads just the first mark where it should be in the middle. I have heat, so its either the thermastat is missing, stuck open or the sender unit is broken.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

if the coolant is rusty get a new stat,flushing tee,and new antifreeze.
pull the t-stat and install the tee.
you can do it yourself with a garden hose.
rusty coolant is likely depleted of corrosion inhibitors.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh yeah. No doubt it needs to be changed and is likely going to freeze to when we have another weather. It just the stat is under the air cleaner and about everything is difficult to reach in the snub nose van.

I think the former owner had the same idea I did. Just let it go on regular maintenance since he did not plan on owning it that long. I may and it hurts me to see something ruined like that if it can be prevented. My dad has 6 bottles of antifreeze never opened he will give me. So, just got to get a stat, gasket and do it. Half anti freeze, half water.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
opps ok im done and post has been updated once we got in there i saw it needed sepertiner belt to so i did timeing belt to
so i did timeing belt and timeing belt idler pulley spark plugs and wires.water pump and gasket thermostat and gasket. all the hoses heater core hoses to.the hadeest part was cleaning the darn old gasket off is there a trick?also man the plug on driver side number 3 cllder was a pain for some reason under the intake was hard to get plug wire back on.any idea waht the laber cost should be on this job.im so glad im done was a pain for me

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb, You might check your fan clutch. If it's stuck, it will make the engine run cooler and will really suck gas.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. It rotates freely, well a slight normal resistance. THe oil filler cap vanished and fell behind the fan between the blades and radiator in the shrod area. THe fan has quite a few blades and blows a good deal of air. I had considered the electric switch over, but it doesnt rev that much and since the engine sits between the front passenger and driver, its not a bad idea to have air blowing over the engine even at idle.

I am going to flush it next weekend or so since I have donated antifreeze 1.5 gallons, installing a new thermostat and gasket. If it still doesnt read right, going to try switching wires on the senders. Ones for the computer, ones for the dash board incase those were reversed when the guy installed the engine he rebuilt. Lord I hope he did that right, at least it sounds ok and seems to have good compression.

If that thermostat switch out doesnt make the dashboard meter work,going to use a manual meter for temp or buy the sender depending on price.

Oh, Its a 3 gallon cooling system, so adding 1.5 gallons of water and using the bottles to carry spare water. It was a gallon low when I got it.

The worse thing you can do next ti screwing with the engine oil or using none at all is to let it over heat. That ruins the autotransmission, takes the timper out of the rings and can cause the head/block to warp if it uses an alloy part for one or both.

Man, aint cheap doing this stuff even if you supply the labor. So much on that van from the former mechanic I bought it from seemed negleticed. i expected better. At least now it will be and maybe I can get near blue book where as he sold it to me at half. Of course if you throw in 4 or 5 tires its about a grand less than bb that i have spent.

I am going to rotate tires to put the best up front, check the air pressure and look at the brakes. It seems the rear aint providing any braking power, so going to adjust those. Just got to find where I left my brake spoon. Hope I remember how to use it, I think I used it last in 94.

Last thing I want to do is to change the differential oil. I want to know what it is, and knowing its up to level and clean. Just wished it had some labels on it. Otherwise got to get a good photo or two of the rear cover and front part to take to the auto store. It has the lug pattern of a dana 60, 8 lugs, it has the cover of a ford 8.8 with no drain plugs on it.

Latest posts