Dorcy metal gear

mastinson

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone give me the actual low down on the durability and the reliabilty on this light? I am to replace the 3d maglight in my truck with one because the maglight is to large and I can't keep batteries from going dead in it even when not used. Also this is my first post but I have been lurking and learning for a few months, great site with great info.

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened
Mine is my "around the house" work light, and the light of choice for my 18-year-old when he has a project. It's still on its first batteries after 2 months! (It's starting to dim, not regulated.) It's plenty tough for whatever we've thrown at it, it's been dropped a few times. Switch seems fine. Anybody else out there use the big M.G.?

Razor

Newly Enlightened
The M. G. will always be cherished because it's the first light that pulled the "Mags rule" wool off my eyes (and before I found this site). The M. G. is a bit like a Luxeon version of a big 3 cell Mag, albiet in a smaller size. It's tough like a Mag, but likewise, it's non-regulated driver deminishes power like a Mag, but drawn out over a longer length of time.

For the full scoop, there's Quickbeam's review:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_metalgear.htm

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My Metal Gear is the designated "back door" light. It sees occasional use spying the raccoon cleaning bird seed off the deck rail or spotting the deer in the yard. I've been rotating rechargeables through it. No problems. It's probably the brightest of my large collection of "small" lights. Has a nice beam tint, too.

Geoff

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
The problem with your mag being dead in your truck has really nothing to do with the light, and everything to do with the batteries self-discharging over time. This can be remedied by using lithium batteries in the light. A car is a tough place for a light- I keep a nitrolon surefire in my car because I know it will always work for me- only $28 for a really nice light.

Back to the Dorcy though, it's a nice little light. The 3xAAA batteries are its only drawback- other than that output is pretty nice and it's a tough little light.

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
I second the suggestion for a Surefire G2. You'll find it puts out more light than your 3D Mag. Also, the G2 uses the 123's (batteries) - a plus if the light will sit in your truck for extended periods without use, so you won't have to worry about the batteries self-discharging over a short time and being dead when you need the light (the shelf-life of the 123's are several times that of regular alkalines).

Like LEDFlasher stated, it's a tough little light with a price point not much higher than that of the Metal Gear.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I liked the output and beam shape of my MG until the girlfriend wanted it. Never argue with the GF.

If you want power and reliability, keep an eye out for the Brinkman Maxfire LX. Similar output to the SFs, build quality admittedly lower but still very good, and pricepoint under $20 in most cases. Of course, you could also load lithium AAAs in a MG, or with a little work slip in a li-ion 16500.

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
bruddamoke said:
Of course, you could also load lithium AAAs in a MG, or with a little work slip in a li-ion 16500.

It's my understanding that you can only direct drive a 1w Lux with 4.5v as long as you keep the amperage down.

Wouldn't the Li AAAs push the amps up into the "whoops, fried the lamp" range?

(If you can promise me it won't, I need to make a run to Walgreens to get some Li AAAs!) :D

As far as the Metal Gear Lux 1w with 3xAAAs, I'm not sure that's exactly the light Mastinson was talking about but I bought one a week or so ago and I'm thrilled with it! It's certainly not my nicest or best light, but it's a hell of a lot of light for 18 bucks and change!

AshA4

Banned
I always thought the metal gear was a bulky, ugly looking thing. Decent output though just too darn fugly!

thezman

Enlightened
AshA4 said:
I always thought the metal gear was a bulky, ugly looking thing. Decent output though just too darn fugly!

So did I. But 30 minutes on the lathe solved that problem. :grin2:

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Buster Bodine said:
It's my understanding that you can only direct drive a 1w Lux with 4.5v as long as you keep the amperage down.

Wouldn't the Li AAAs push the amps up into the "whoops, fried the lamp" range?

(If you can promise me it won't, I need to make a run to Walgreens to get some Li AAAs!)
biggrin.gif

As far as the Metal Gear Lux 1w with 3xAAAs, I'm not sure that's exactly the light Mastinson was talking about but I bought one a week or so ago and I'm thrilled with it! It's certainly not my nicest or best light, but it's a hell of a lot of light for 18 bucks and change!
I've not used lithium AAA's in the MG for extended periods, just tried it out and saw nothing evil...I'm no electrical engineer, rather I have an advanced degree in stupidity and just try out combinations to see if it works. Given the price point of the MG, and the fact that I generally dislike multi-cell lights and HATE those with battery carriers, I was not too worried I would kill it. Of course, YMMV
rolleye11.gif

IMHO, I would not care to use the MG as a storage/emergency light given the size and battery configuration anyway. I'd probably go with a single AA unit (say L1P) and have extra cells vs one light using one load of 3 cells. Lithium AAAs at retail tend to cost as much or more than lithium AAs, with drastically lower capacity. I only use lithium AAAs in my L0P and Dorcy 1xAAA, thats why I had some around to try in the MG. Keep the MG as a frequent user and swap out NiMHs regularly.

thezman

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Pic? (as this post was worthless without one!)

I knew somebody would ask.
grinser2.gif

I removed the stock resistor and installed the circuit board from a RR 2AA light.
It's run fine since I modded it.
Painted with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II paint. Tough stuff.

MG.jpg

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
:goodjob: looks great. I'm one of the few that actually likes the original look, but this one is worth showing off.

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
bruddamoke said:
I'm no electrical engineer, rather I have an advanced degree in stupidity

Me too, I'm just running around here like a chiken with my head cut off trying to absorb as much information as I can, and have started dreaming about flashlights in the process. (I think I may need to take a break from CPF for awhile.)
I generally dislike multi-cell lights and HATE those with battery carriers, I was not too worried I would kill it.

This is my first flashlight with one of those carrier thingies in it and I didn't know it had that when I bought it. I'm not crazy about the arrangement and I'm not overly thrilled with the choice of AAA batteries and truth to be told, I'm not really in love with the light. I'm impressed with the performance it gives but then I'm new to high power LED lights and so easily impressed I guess.

MHO, I would not care to use the MG as a storage/emergency light given the size and battery configuration anyway. I'd probably go with a single AA unit (say L1P) and have extra cells vs one light using one load of 3 cells. Lithium AAAs at retail tend to cost as much or more than lithium AAs, with drastically lower capacity. I only use lithium AAAs in my L0P and Dorcy 1xAAA, thats why I had some around to try in the MG. Keep the MG as a frequent user and swap out NiMHs regularly.

I came to pretty much the same conclusion myself but its nice to know others think the same way, thanks!

Thezman,

That looks awesome!

AshA4

Banned
A few people express their dislike for battery carriers but I must say I sure do like those FM and MM battery carriers!​
:rock:​
BTW your MG looks nice Zman...not fugly at all!​

thezman

Enlightened
I'm kinda new to all this stuff too...

I picked up the MG because it was cheap and I needed something to hack into without worrying about a big $$ loss if I FUBAR'd it.

Not real concerned about the battery carrier, I think it's of decent quality, and the AAA issue isn't a big negative for me. I'll recharge the batteries when they get weak.

You read, you learn, you try, you fail. :rant: The most important thing is, you try.
Even in failure you learn...

And thanks for the compliments..:)

Z