do people usaly leave stuff when they move?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
reason i ask is people next door moved and there is 2 heaters left on ther back porch .do ya think they dont want em no more.i could use em for sure but i dont want to take em if they didnt abadon em there keroscene and look in good shape they seemed liek they would of had room in there truck and they had to walk by em to move other stuff

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Raggie...happens all the time here. (college town)

Many people scavenge the neighborhoods after "move-out" days. Usually, folks leave the stuff on the curb for trash day (or other people to come take)...not sure what to do since it's actually on their back porch though. :(

JM-99

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man i knew i should of talked to em about the heaters even weired is there stroage door is wide open ya would think they would of put em in there if they wanted em they left a excercise bike and a grill and the heaters manid love them heaters lol for winter

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have moved a lot of times, and each time I had stuff I didn't want. I just left it for the next guy. Maybe you can sell it on EBAy for $$$.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
maybe ill sntach em and just put em on my back porch if they want em im sure theyll just take em back plus if i sdeee em i can always say i got ya heaters

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have seen the stuff left when I bought my house, 7 trips to the dump.:xyxgun: Then the previous bonehead/owner tried to get me to replace what he left behind!!!!!!:rant: Needless to say I won the war.:naughty:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yeah, snatch them - but leave a note and tell them you took them so no one would steal them? If they don't contact you in a few days - grab your note back?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
mani would love em so much i can deal with no heat but some nights i sure would of liked it and with them i could just run em to i run outa keroscene

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
Yeah, snatch them - but leave a note and tell them you took them so no one would steal them? If they don't contact you in a few days - grab your note back?

That is what I would do.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a folklore/superstition that you are supposed to leave the brooms in the house you are leaving. To not take any bad luck or bad spirits that the broom has swept up. Same for Kitchen Witches if I remember correctly.

You should see the crap I left in my totaled car when I cleaned it out Saturday. But I will get one more chance to pick over the remains I think.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I used to work for an apartment complex. You would not believe the stuff people leave behind. Some is usable, some recyclable, most goes into the dumpster.

A fellow worker in a different complex routinely had the Sheriff come over to take a look at some rather "interesting items" (the kind that gets people jailed...) old tennants left behind. Why people would leave illegal stuff behind (together with accurate contact information on where they moved next) is beyond my comprehension. I was glad I wasn't working there...

Arkayne

Enlightened
Around here, all you have to do is put a FREE ad on Craigslist and somebody will come by and pick it up.

I've seen trucks loaded up 15' tall with stuff heading to Mexico.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
A lot of commercial moving companies won't transport flammable material, and even though the heaters might not have had any kerosene in them they still won't take them.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i took em back i started to wonder if maybe they are comeing back even though cuurtains and etc are gone im sure some one else will get em but i was to afraid that mayne they just forgot em and id feel bad so there on the back porch still far as a note lol i cant write to good im sure they wouldnt know what i was talking about i type a little better but my printer is acting odd on linux

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
One of the last apartments I had was the ground floor of a fairly large old house. The basement was completely full of stuff left behind by people. Some of it looked like it had been there since the late 70's judging by the furniture and "art." I dug through it a little bit but there really wasn't anything I needed or would want. My roommate and I did find a picture of an intoxicated, topless college girl wearing one of those hats made out of cut up PBR cans crocheted together!:drool: We had her posted in the living room for a while in hopes that someone might recognize her ("Hey that's my sister!").

I asked the landlords a couple of times to clear out the stuff because it seemed like it might be a mouse or rat haven. Finally the basement flooded about 4.5 feet and soaked everything which immediately started to mold and stink. After mentioning possible health risks making it necessary for us to hold the rent they got someone right on emptying it out. I told the crew they should ask managment why they didn't have them do it before it got wet and moldy.:grin2:

Usually all I ever found in my apartments were bits of useless trash.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my tenants leave all kinds of stuff. Some illegal, some dangerous, mostly garbage. The most useful was a UPS that worked fine once I put new batteries in it. I'd snag the heaters and put them to good use.

Cheers! :buddies:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wish they would come back i rather ask em.amn i wanted one of them heaters last year so bad but there like 119 bucks .o well its summer now almost ill find some before next winter im sure

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just take them in for safe keeping - if they do want them, it'd be better to have them someplace where they're protected, right??

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say snag them. If they come back and ask about them, just tell them the truth. You thought they were gone for good, and the heaters would just go to the garbage and you thought you could make good use of them. If they want them back, then no big deal.

I'm a mover, and I'd say most everyone I move only leaves behind things like landscaping material, flammable chemicals that we can't transport, and building material (tiles that match the bathroom, wooden trim pieces, paint that matches rooms in the house, etc.). Otherwise people just throw it away. Unfortunately, my crew and I are usually asked to haul it to the curb or dumpster. But the good thing is some of the stuff is good. I've snagged boom boxes, tv's,(including the one I use in my living room) vacuum cleaners, the computer monitor I curently use, LP's, misc furniture, a refrigerator, you name it.