G2 lens retaining ring

Chris201W

Enlightened
I have a Surefire G2 and recently noticed that the lens retaining ring doesn't appear to be even with the end of the bezel. One side of the ring is higher than the other. It sits at a slight angle. I do have a UCL in there, which is slightly thicker, but even with the lexan lens, one side of the ring sits up higher. The result is that one part of the ring is holding the lens down and the side opposite is sitting up, not even touching the lens. It's like the direction of the threads is not parallel with the side of the bezel. I looked at my friend's G2 and it does not have this problem.

Has anyone else noticed this? I guess it's not really a problem, just one of those things that annoys me more than it should...:hairpull:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 G2's , both with UCL's and they both stick up a small amount above the bezel, but they are both tight against the window so it doesn't really bother me. Maybe you could remove the retaining ring and sand down the bottom side a little with some sandpaper on a flat surface to make sure it is flat and to make it flush with the bezel.

Chris201W

Enlightened
The problem isn't that it sticks up above the end of the bezel, that I'm fine with. It's that one side sticks up more than the other.

Delvance

Enlightened
My G2 is like that as well, due to the use of an UCL. Not much we can really do about it...unless you're going to sand it down so the bezel is once again flush. Unless you meant the bottom end of the bezel is not completely sealed against the UCL ?...well hrmmm, maybe try and get a new bezel ring from SF or swap one over from another SF light and see how that goes ?

I carry mine with the red filter attached so i don't notice/care about it.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Me too. My UCL causes that to happen. But I unscrewed it, pushed the rubber ring and evened it out more, screwed the polymer ring back on and now it's even! Try it.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've installed glass in G2's many times and this can be a common occurrence. Heck, they even come that way from the factory a lot of times with the stock lexan lens.

A trick that helps is the old detailer's trick. Get an old toothbrush and cut the bristles down about 50% with a pair of scissors to make them stiffer. Take your retaining ring out and use the toothbrush to scrub out all the threads in the head and the ring. Sometimes you wouldn't believe how much of the old glue is still embedded in some of those threads and even flashing from when the threads were formed. Then carefully and slowly screw it back in.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just how do you get that retaining ring off? The one on mine won't budge. I like to put a UCL on but can't seem to figure out how to get it off.
Any suggestions? Thank you.