Angryfox        

Thread: Help me decide between a SureFire L1 & E1L

Default Help me decide between a SureFire L1 & E1L

Help me decide between a SureFire L1 & E1L. Who is selling these at the lowest price? I am going to order a L2 for the nightstand but I want a smaller edc. I plan to use a rechargeable battery. Will afforable protected 3v RCR123 batteries work?

Default Re: Help me decide between a SureFire L1 & E1L

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=115632

You can check out either LightHound or OpticsHQ.

Enjoy!
    LUX'Ottica

I don't think rechargeables work in the L1, but I know they will work in the E1L. I believe OpticsHQ has the L1 and E1L at the lowest prices -- $103 and $76 with both CPF discounts, respectively.

As for deciding between the two, check out a concurrently running thread-- http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115632
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Do protected 3v RCR123 batteries work in the SureFire L1?

*Flashaholic*

L1 works great with R123 li-ion

botach has cheapest price for L1 with red led, old style. excellent choice if you are going to upgrade LED and so17 reflector

botach is spotty to deal with according to feedback. some good, some not so good..

cy, thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for a white led version.

Why did SF change the head design? Is there useable spill with the new L1 head? Is the older L1 with flood better?

Is 1.1 lumen on low too dim?

No. The new L1 has no usable spill-- for that, you'll want the F04 beamshaper. "Better" is subjective. I believe the newer LED heads are brighter and have better throw.

Is the new L1 beam like the Inova T1 spot beam?

I can't understand why SF changed to a spot beam with no spill.

Apparently, it's better for what the military wants? Surefire is a military contractor, and their lights are primarily designed for military use... not civilian use. Anyway, an F04 beamshaper will fix that in a jiffy.

What I really want to tell you is this. i have L1 older version, it was marked as 0.7 lumen (i believe) I don't find it too dim at all. Its really bright enough. There for i assume L1 TIR 1.1 lumen being too dim is out of question.

But, the trueth is.....I don't own a L1 TIR to give you a side by side comparson. If you wish to wait for 2 weeks, I will tell you for sure. I can smell it coming. I just got to fix my curiousity between 2 (2 L1s).

As for E1L, a nice small buddy with a lot of throw. A bit not small enough. I dont need good throw most of time. So far I enjoyFenix L1P more due to side spill and smaller size. I love my L1 for the same reason. Side spill, and yet, 2 stages.

Cy, where can you get an upgrade led for the L1?
    Last edited by dmz; 04-25-2006 at 12:28 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by dmz
    Is the new L1 beam like the Inova T1 spot beam?
    No, it's not nearly as tight as the T1, the T1 is literally a dot, whereas the E1L/L1 is a wider squarish spot.

Getting the F04 beamshaper gives you the best of both worlds, a very even flood or a spot if you really need it.

Flashaholic

I had no idea the L1 could handle the higher voltage of a Li-Ion.
    Wow, and you didn't say it had to use the 3 volt version either, i thought this would be a death knell for the L1.(I had read elsewhere that is was instant death,doh)

Kool.

IF
    E1L, E2L, G2, PM6, X1, V6-6, 2xQ3, 2xTM310H, 3xStylus, 2x3DMag, 4xMMag, and other junk.

How wide is the L1 spot? Is it twice the size of the Inova T1 spot?

Cool Re: Help me decide between a SureFire L1 & E1L

its a nice size spot IMHO. And most likely the same, if not a little bigger than the T1s.

-David

Quote Originally Posted by cy
    L1 works great with R123 li-ion
    Interesting, I assume protected, can anyone confirm?

Only reason I ask is that standard CR123A are expensive in Australia, but most of us can manage to a get a R123 or two posted in.

I am leaning towards the L1 since its easier to hold with its length. Who sells the old white led L1 for the lowest price? I don't need a spotlight beam so I don't need the new version and then have to purchase a beam shaper.

if you like flood, the
    L4 is the way to go.

I'd get the E1L because you can get an L4 later and trade heads between the 2

I am getting a L2 for the nightstand so I won't need the L4. I looking at the L1 for an edc.

wuyeah, can you give us a comparison review of the old L1 vs the new L1?

Quote Originally Posted by dmz
    wuyeah, can you give us a comparison review of the old L1 vs the new L1?
    Old has a beam with some spill. New is all throw, no spill. I like the new one a lot because it's just right for spotting things.

DMZ
    Have you gotten your L 2 yet? How do you like it?
    Last edited by KreweRoux; 05-11-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Enlightened

Get the E1L. It's much more versatile.

HayJab so states...
    Bright makes Right!

Flashaholic

dmz,

The "old L1" is primarily flood and much smoother with an F04 on the front. The new L1 and the E1L is primarily pencil-beam with almost no spill at all and absolutely MUST have an F04 for any spill result. The E1L does NOT give you the option of long runtime with a "low" setting like the L1. The E1L also is just too bright if you get up in the middle of the night with night-adapted eyes. The L1 "low" setting is perfect for night navigation to the bathroom without burning the back of your retinas out. I am facing the same decision and have decided on the L1, "old" version I think for now, but I want to try the newer version. When I put an F04 on an E1L (which is identical to what the new L1 will have), the spill was acceptable/good, but slightly less than the "old" L1. It was indeed perceptably (but not impressively) brighter at 22 lumens with the Lux III vs. the "old" L1 at 15 lumens with the Lux I. Additionally, the new L1 would have the merit of distance capability. I have eliminated the E1L due to limited function and runtime. My gut instinct is that I will end up with the new L1/F04 combo just to pick up the distance option on my EDC. After all, 80 hrs. runtime, reading light/bathroom navigator, 22 lumen short-range flood, and 75 yd. distance torch, all in one package. This is hard to beat. I think you mentioned earlier that the additional length of the L1 (that most might object to) was actually favored by you, so here is another plus.

Incidentally, I have recently discovered that all F04s are NOT created equal. There is some interesting variation in the results. I came across an F04 that provides a much tighter flood than the others. This provides an interesting opportunity to fine-tune the amount and character of your flood beam to suit your tastes or purposes.

I can't help with who might have the "lowest price". I'm usually happy to just FIND what I want. I also don't know my posterior from my elbow about rechargable batteries. Sorry!

Hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by Flashdark; 05-11-2006 at 04:48 PM.
    A flashdark is a device that projects a black circle upon (thereby obscuring) anything which is visually offensive. Surefire: E1e/KL1(2), E2L, E2e, E2C/P-61, KL2, KL3(1,2v3), KL4, L1-RD(1), L1-WH(1,2), L2(1), L4, L5, L6, G2, C2, U2, K2, M2, C3, M3, M3T, M6. Milkyspit: ML-1, MilkMite. Photon: Freedoms(WH/RD/TQ).

Flashaholic*

I love Surefires. I love both my E1L and L1s. I have both the new and old version L1s and both are excellent, the newer version needs a F04 to really make it adaptable to just about any situation.

That being said I would seriously look at an HDS EDC Basic 42. Cost is very close to an L1. I has more functionality, better beam, is as small if not smaller then an E1L, is still HAIII and basically blows the Surefire offerings in this area away.

If you are absolutely set on the Surefire choices I say go with the L1 as it is simply more versitile.

Chris
    A Government is most likely to be made up of a group of individuals who are likely not governed themselves.