Help me decide between a SureFire L1 & E1L

dmz

Enlightened
Help me decide between a SureFire L1 & E1L. Who is selling these at the lowest price? I am going to order a L2 for the nightstand but I want a smaller edc. I plan to use a rechargeable battery. Will afforable protected 3v RCR123 batteries work?

dmz

Enlightened
Do protected 3v RCR123 batteries work in the SureFire L1?

cy

Flashaholic
L1 works great with R123 li-ion

botach has cheapest price for L1 with red led, old style. excellent choice if you are going to upgrade LED and so17 reflector

botach is spotty to deal with according to feedback. some good, some not so good..

dmz

Enlightened
cy, thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking for a white led version.

Why did SF change the head design? Is there useable spill with the new L1 head? Is the older L1 with flood better?

Is 1.1 lumen on low too dim?

carrot

Flashaholic
No. The new L1 has no usable spill-- for that, you'll want the F04 beamshaper. "Better" is subjective. I believe the newer LED heads are brighter and have better throw.

dmz

Enlightened
I can't understand why SF changed to a spot beam with no spill.

carrot

Flashaholic
Apparently, it's better for what the military wants? Surefire is a military contractor, and their lights are primarily designed for military use... not civilian use. Anyway, an F04 beamshaper will fix that in a jiffy.

wuyeah

Enlightened
What I really want to tell you is this. i have L1 older version, it was marked as 0.7 lumen (i believe) I don't find it too dim at all. Its really bright enough. There for i assume L1 TIR 1.1 lumen being too dim is out of question.

But, the trueth is.....I don't own a L1 TIR to give you a side by side comparson. If you wish to wait for 2 weeks, I will tell you for sure. I can smell it coming. I just got to fix my curiousity between 2 (2 L1s).

As for E1L, a nice small buddy with a lot of throw. A bit not small enough. I dont need good throw most of time. So far I enjoyFenix L1P more due to side spill and smaller size. I love my L1 for the same reason. Side spill, and yet, 2 stages.

dmz

Enlightened
Cy, where can you get an upgrade led for the L1?

Last edited:

warpdrive

Enlightened
dmz said:
Is the new L1 beam like the Inova T1 spot beam?

No, it's not nearly as tight as the T1, the T1 is literally a dot, whereas the E1L/L1 is a wider squarish spot.

Getting the F04 beamshaper gives you the best of both worlds, a very even flood or a spot if you really need it.

IonFire

Enlightened
I had no idea the L1 could handle the higher voltage of a Li-Ion.
Wow, and you didn't say it had to use the 3 volt version either, i thought this would be a death knell for the L1.(I had read elsewhere that is was instant death,doh)

Kool.

IF

dmz

Enlightened
How wide is the L1 spot? Is it twice the size of the Inova T1 spot?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a nice size spot IMHO. And most likely the same, if not a little bigger than the T1s.

-David

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
cy said:
L1 works great with R123 li-ion

Interesting, I assume protected, can anyone confirm?

Only reason I ask is that standard CR123A are expensive in Australia, but most of us can manage to a get a R123 or two posted in.

dmz

Enlightened
I am leaning towards the L1 since its easier to hold with its length. Who sells the old white led L1 for the lowest price? I don't need a spotlight beam so I don't need the new version and then have to purchase a beam shaper.

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
if you like flood, the
L4 is the way to go.

I'd get the E1L because you can get an L4 later and trade heads between the 2:grin2:

dmz

Enlightened
I am getting a L2 for the nightstand so I won't need the L4. I looking at the L1 for an edc.