Rayovac Long Range LED

Dawg

Enlightened
I bought 2 of these today. One is a 3 AA in a battery holder like the 3 AAA LED lights that are so commonly available. The other is a Single AA. They also make another that takes 6 AA's in a holder. They have 2 LED's, 4 LED's and 7 LED's respectively.

They are not worth the price of admission. The single AA model is not too horrible and will live in the glove box of my Mustang Mach1 that only goes to car shows. The 3AA model has been mated to a Rayovac D cell magnet holder that I got as a closeout for 29 cents and it will be relegated to refrigerator door duty for the wife to use to look for cat toys under the furniture.

The 4 LED model has a wild beam. From about 3 feet out, it looks not unlike a UFO. If you shine it on a wall at 6 inches or less you can see what appears to be 4 perfect little alien faces peering back at you. I tried to capture a shot of this but my camera is primitive. You can just make out the effect. It is blurry in the picture, but in actuality when you shine it on the wall the little faces are very focused and highly resolved.

The name they gave the light "Long Range LED" most assuredly must allude to the distance it will go when you throw it after buying it. I don't know what is funnier, that the lights are so horrible or that I actually bought them.

DCP_1506.jpg

DCP_1505.jpg

DCP_1504.jpg

DCP_1507.jpg

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for taking "the bean for the team."
goodjob.gif

BTW, you are demonstrating true flashaholism since you haven't actually thrown those things away. Maybe a mod in the future? Can't get worse.
lolsign.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
When will the manufacturers learn?

5mm LED's should not be forced to throw by using optics or whatever--they simply weren't designed for it, and the resulting beam is always terrible.

(unless we arre talking about the MJLED-types, which work well with reflectors.)

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't dismiss this light so quickly. You may be the only one that has bought one, and maybe these are the key to communicating with the aliens out there. Close Encounters of the LED Kind

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get that weird lens out, you'll probably wind up with a pretty good floodlight. Small LED's seem to be at their best when there's nothing in front of them. For instance, if you take the reflector and lens out of a Dorcy 1AAA, you'll have a beautiful beam.

Last edited: