Congress readies new digital copyright bill

cy

Flashaholic

"For the last few years, a coalition of technology companies, academics and computer programmers has been trying to persuade Congress to scale back the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Now Congress is preparing to do precisely the opposite. A proposed copyright law seen by CNET News.com would expand the DMCA's restrictions on software that can bypass copy protections and grant federal police more wiretapping and enforcement powers."

http://news.com.com/Congress+readie...ht+bill/2100-1028_3-6064016.html?tag=nefd.top

NickelPlate

Enlightened
cy said:

"For the last few years, a coalition of technology companies, academics and computer programmers has been trying to persuade Congress to scale back the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Now Congress is preparing to do precisely the opposite. A proposed copyright law seen by CNET News.com would expand the DMCA's restrictions on software that can bypass copy protections and grant federal police more wiretapping and enforcement powers."

http://news.com.com/Congress+readie...ht+bill/2100-1028_3-6064016.html?tag=nefd.top

Not surprising. Back when the patriot act was first being talked about I predicted that our civil liberties would slowly erode to nothing, and we'll never get them back. Land of the free? Sort of.

Dave

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unbelievable....

Even as a content creator I don't think we should be going that far. But I guess I'm just a small time content creator, not one of the megamillionbucks empires.

dim

Enlightened
Anyone with half a wit understands why DMCA is wrong on so many technical, social and economic levels. What is Congress, the MAFIAA and all who would support such absurd, restrictive and Luddite legislation afraid of?

dim

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would serve the interests of the American People more to work on legislation prohibiting viruses, trojans, spyware, and adware.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, please criminalize the *REAL* dangers, rather than pandering to the interests of big money. There are days when I am glad I am not in the US..