Rechargeable SL Scorpion...

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a Strion bulb and put it into my Scorpion along with a Pila 168s. Voila!!! Perfect and bright and nice!!!! I know a lot of you know about this, but I thought I would bring it up.

Synergy

Newly Enlightened
This is new to me (please forgive my ignorance - I don't keep up with SL products and their mods) and sounds interesting. How are runtimes and light output with the light now compared to how it was before?

ubermensch

Enlightened
When focused, I found the beam too narrow to be useful. When unfocused, too artifact-y to be useful. A little low on output too. Draws ~1.7amps so runtime should be a little less than 60 minutes.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured about 40 minutes continuous using Pila 1400mAh
For more flood beam, you can frost the bulb slightly.
There is no brighter option for single cell.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the filament of the Strion bulb is of the wrong lenght for the Scorpion reflector. As stated, it goes from pencil beam to swirly beam, without a good compromise.
I have got a better result with a Strion bulb in a P60 reflector. Better focus, and less yellow than the Pila 3.7 Volt Lamp assembly.
It is a law of physics that 3 Volt bulbs have about half (55%) of the efficiency of 6 Volt bulbs.
Unless they are carefully overdriven, as it is the case of the MA02 (4.4 Volt 1.4 A) in the SF A2, the total output with a 3.6 volt bulb powered from a single Li-Ion will never satisfy hard-core flashaholics, IMO.

Anthony