Newbie's thoughts on Gladius

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I created an account on this forum to share my thoughts of my new toy, a black Night-ops Gladius. When the last bulb on my AA maglite died i decided to upgrade (bit of a jump in price i know :)).
I appreciate the need for a good flashlight for hiking/camping/powercuts etc.
The first thing that struck me about the gladius, before I even turned it on, was the build quality, it didn't rattle like the maglite and had a genuine solid feel. The tailcap had a smooth, positive action and wasn't loose at all.
After inserting the batteries and turning on, the initial impression of the beam was one of interest rather than awe, as the light was of exceptional whiteness and quality, however the brightness didn't live up to my expectations demanded by the price. Subsequent experiments at night however blew me away, the spread of light and intensity of the hotspot were exceptional. The beam was (compared to my maglite) very regular and circular.
The lowest light setting is perfectly adequate for navigating a tent at night and the strobe is very unpleasant when directed at your eyes (no doubt as intended)
Only time will tell with regard to battery and LED life, however, overall a very impressive torch that will hopefully last me a lifetime.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
You're hooked, dude.

Welcome to CPF. I was exposed to the world of high quality flashlights only a couple of years ago when I paid $60 for a coast LED Tac-Torch. I wanted to learn more about LED lights, and so found my way here. I am so intrigued by high-powered lights, that I'm contemplating starting my own website providing for needs that I identified here. I look forward to you joining in our discussions.

Bernie

tattoou2

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. Have fun here. Lots to learn, but sorry about your wallet.

I'm seriously giving thought to the Gladius as my very next purchase. Sounds and looks as though it's a very innovative and good light.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scythe rr,

Welcome. Just wait till you see the output of a 5 watt LED like the Surefire U2. Give up now, however, resistance is futile... you will purchase many more very pricey lights like the Gladius. But it will be fun at least.

The Gladius is a great light. It has been growing on me ever since I purchased it.

-Goatee

IonFire

Enlightened
Hey yeah, thanks for the mini, and a big addicting welcome to the forums aswell:grin2:

Glad to see you jumped in with both feet, nice upgrade.

I myself am wanting a Glad as a toy light more then anything and the need err whatever its called is growing stronger. You'll see what i mean shortly.

Hope your wife really loves you.

Peace

IF

faco

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, a few years back I thought $60 was allot for a flashlight. I now spend more on lights and enjoy the whole experience of owning and using quality lights. Enjoy the Gladius, from what I hear it's a great light.

You will find lots of great info here on this forum, this is where the journey begins………………..:)

Apparently duct tape works great wrapped around wallets, keep this in mind if needed

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome everybody, just out of interest, does anybody know the candlepower rating for the gladius's LED?