iPod-iTunes Starting Question

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I read about this sometime ago on the iPodLounge Forums, but can't find it now. There's a certain key(s) sequence you can enter on your keyboard when you plug your iPod in that keeps iTunes from executing/starting.

I thought it was a SHIFT or CONTROL key, but can't get either to work. Does anyone know the proper key sequence?

carrot

Flashaholic
I have a Mac, so the keyboard shortcuts would be different for me. From what I remember, the control key stops any sort of "autoplay" that Windows might try.
Btw, iPodLounge became http://ilounge.com

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the IPod looks like a disk drive... You can look for Microsoft's Tweak UI (User Interface) and turn off AutoRun on all disks/cd's/floppy/hard-drive devices... (You should do this on CDROMs any way to stop the Anti-Copy stuff from installing on your PC).

Holding down the <SHIFT> key while inserting the CD stops the CD AutoRun function.

Link to the common Windows Short Cuts...

-Bill

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think that it uses autorun, I believe there is a background app or whatever the equivalent on windows is that recognizes the thing when it's plugged in. On the mac version, you can change that in the preferences, but if memory serves it's in the part of the preferences that is only visible when you actually have an ipod plugged in. So plug your ipod in, let it launch, then dig through the preferences till you find how to stop it from doing that.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
since my harddrive been full, and i have been deleting music from my harddrive to put more music in, i have not plugged in my ipod for fear of the auto update, that would delete the music already in my ipod. what key can i hit on my old g3 ibook? thanx in advance. i have a 40gb ipod photo. my hd is 30gb, but all filled up. now using an hp pc to download music on my external hd.

danielo_d

Enlightened
James S said:
... but if memory serves it's in the part of the preferences that is only visible when you actually have an ipod plugged in. So plug your ipod in, let it launch, then dig through the preferences till you find how to stop it from doing that.

James is right on the money!

iTunes_iPod_Options.JPG

And senecaripple,
[edit just noted that you are not using a PC, but your old g3 ibook. not sure if this'll help... Didn't cut text, though in hopes it may still help.]

Sorry, you'll have to connect your iPod in order to access the iPod Options.
Not sure how to bypass it on your PC w/o connecting it.
IIRC, you can connect it to another PC w/iTunes. It will prompt you with a message like - "This iPod is synchronized to another PC, would you like to synchronize to this PC?" ...something to that effect.

Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that before you try it.

Once you are able to connect without synchronizing, go to iPod options and select "Manually Manage Songs and Playlists".

iTunes_iPod_Options2.JPG

Hope this helps!

Last edited: