Hubbell flashlights - Any Comments?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a search for the word Hubbell, and there are no references to it.

There are some nice flashlights and bulb assembly reflectors at my local hardware store.
http://www.hubbell-ltg.com/

They look like they are a serious manufacture of lights, but their web page has no references (that I can find) to flashlights.

waumpuscat

Newly Enlightened
I got a couple of the Hubbell lights about 4 or 5 years ago from Home Depot. They look, feel, and perform just like a Pelican SabreLight IMO, and I was told that they are the same light. The guy that told me that was a dealer that I spoke with recently and he says that there is some type of legal suit going on between Pelican and Hubbell because of the similarites. I don't know how accurate any of this is, but I do know that the Pelican replacement lamps work OK in the Hubbell lights. just my .02

Phil

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Pelican flashlights were marketed under different names. Hubbel is Pelican. I got a yellow HomeDepot Hubbel and black Pelican - identical.
rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It is not on the Pelican website anymore, but IIRC they at one time made it perfectly clear that they were NOT the manufacturer of the Hubbell flashlights. Look carefully at the shape of the pocket clip on the AAA lights - they are similar, but not identical on the examples I have seen. The Browning lights are made by Pelican, however.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm not mistaken, I believe I saw a Hubbel light, along with Hubbel bulbs in Lowes recently. TX

bkral

Newly Enlightened
I, too, remember the news blurb about a lawsuit against Hubbell by Pelican. When I bought my first 3C light it looked exactly like the Pelican - I thought they really were made by them, and bought the light because of that fact. I bought another light about a year or two later, after all the fuss, which had the same Hubbell part number as before but now used a Xenon PR lamp in a larger head instead of the Pelican-type integral-reflector lamp. Not bad, but I prefered the original, even if it was a clone. This new version appears similar to one marketed by Kohler, but I can't be sure.

Hubbell also did a nice 4AA copy of the stealth-lite.

-BCK

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know.....My Pel and Hubb are IDENTICAL. Down to MSHA,CSA,AUS,UL,FM approvals imprinted on them. SuperSabreLite.
Even the keyring and lanyard are the same.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There is litigation between Pelican and Koehler Bright-Star. K B-S makes the Responder Series of lights and copied Pelican Designs. I believe that Pelican made lights for Hubbel for a few years and Hubbell sold to Home Depot and Lowes. They are not currently selling to Hubbell. I would love hearing from anyone who has seen the K B-S Responder "2AAA-cell Submersible Pocketlite", the "3C-cell Submersible", and the "Two AA-cell Swivel Light" and then looked at the Pelican "Mini Mity Light", the "Mity Light" and the "VersaBrite". It is pretty obvious to me that one is a knock-off of the other. What do you think?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hubbell does not manufacture the lights. They are manufactured by Koehler Bright Star.
It is my understanding that pelican has sued both Koehler -Bright Star and Hubbell for patent infringements.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alex cooper:
Pelican flashlights were marketed under different names.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think "Browning" was another name.(Just saw that Weremala already mentioned Browning). I got their 3C model with clip. Didn't care for it and, quite frankly I've never been very impressed with Pelican; I'd much rather buy from Surefire (naturally), Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics or PrincetonTec.

Brightnorm

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
In looking at the Hubbell 3003-c (I think that was the model - 3 c cell light) it is rated at 50,000 cp!

The 2-aa clip on "headlight" is rated at 10,000 cp!

Could those be right?

a 3-c cell light with a 50,000 cp output?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuddTX:

Could those be right?
a 3-c cell light with a 50,000 cp output?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BuddTX,

It's very possible, if the beam is narrow enough. That's the problem with
"candlepower" figures; they can be highly misleading, and can make a more powerful flashlight seem weaker than a lesser one.

Brightnorm