Windows '98 questions...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Q: Is there a program that will reboot a Windows '98 machine twice daily, without user intervention?
If so, what is it called and where can I get it?

Q: Assuming the above program can be found, how do I run two Windows programs automatically after the machine has started; again, without user intervention?

This is easy to do on a DOS machine; all you do is add them to AUTOEXEC.BAT, but Windows '98 does not launch this batchfile at startup.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm racking my brain to remember if Windows 98 has something called "Scheduled Tasks" where you can tell it to automatically do things at xxxx time. If it does, it should be in the control panel... or readily uncoverable by searching Windows help. Otherwise, one of these utilities should work. (* I've never used the aforementioned linked site, nor any of the utilities.)

Whatever you want to launch on boot, drag a shortcut (or even write a batch script) into the "Startup" folder in the Start menu.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Yes you can do it and its very easy. All you need to use is Task Manager to setup the time you want the computer rebooted and a small file that will actually reboot your computer. You just call the file from Task Manager.

Let me find the file and i'll send it to you and explain how it work. Deal?
:rock:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Thank you for all of the suggestions!!! :twothumbs:
Using a combination of the file and the Windows shutdown commands web page that both Carrot and iNDiGLo furnished, I was successful in getting the computer in question to reboot at 8:00am every day, and to run the two programs that need to be executed with no intervention on my part. :D