"regulated" 32x 5mmLED 2D M*g conversion

wquiles

Flashaholic
Since I have 30-40 D size Alkalines and not a single light in the house to use them, I posted some weeks ago interest in finding a small driver that would work from a 2D host using alkalines, to create a sort-of-emergency light for home use. I salvaged a 32x 5mm white LED "module" from a very cheap Chinese-made light, so I knew I had a project in my hands :)

Based on the responces, I settled on the 2009 MicroPuck. I say "regulated" becuase it seems to be a constant voltage step-up circuit in there. It should work down to 0.8 volts, so with the 2D cells, it should run until the cells are "dry":
IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

As you can see here, the module is actually smaller than the 2" reflector diameter, so it needs "something" to keep it in place. More on this later:
IMG_4367.JPG

Here I tested the MicroPuck with 2D's and the "module":
IMG_4373.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

and this was the vf and operating current:
IMG_4374.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

It ocurred to me to simply try putting the module on top of the mag reflector to see if it closed up:
IMG_4376.JPG

but I found out that the bezel would not close enough to clear the o-ring:
IMG_4377.JPG

so I took some metal shears (and a knife to clean up the edges) and cut the outer edge of the OEM plastic reflector, which then allows the reflector to sit deeper on the head:
IMG_4379.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

which then allows the bezel to clear the o-ring and almost close completely (good enough for me!):
IMG_4381.JPG

so I continued with the typical LED mod steps to cut the bulb pedestal, solder wires, etc.:
IMG_4382.JPG

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

And now I have a super long running, flood light for home emergency use which should run for a LONG time:
IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_4387.JPG

This is a shot at night just outside my car garage to show the beam characteristics:
IMG_4389.JPG

For comparison indoors, on top we have a BOG 3W LED Module on an L5 bored out with a single 18650 LiIon cell, and on the bottom my 32x 5mm 2D light - notice the floody and great coverage from the new light. These are actually darker than in real life, so the sidespill from the new light is even more pronounced that what is shown here:
IMG_4392.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

Will

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great way to use up all those D batteries.
How many hours of runtime do you expect to get from the 15~20 sets you have?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thank you guys :eek:

Yes, your measurements are only as good as your equipment allows :D

Since a D cell has about 10-15KmAH in them, at 600mAH or so, I should get approx. 16-25 hours of continued use, although I would expect significant dimming towards the end of that time range.

600mA divided by 32 is only about 19mA per LED, so the LED's are being driven easily within spec, so assuming that the potted "puck" is stable and long lived, the light should work for a freaking long time ;)

EDIT: The 600mA was the battery current, not the current going to the LED. The hi version of this puck that I used should (with two 1.5 cells) give about 400mA, so the current per LED would be closer to 12.5mA/LED :eek:

Will

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
wquiles,

I too do really like this mod, very 'utility' and down right practical for emergency. Goodjob! :)

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks AL :eek:

I just used one of the two "pucks" on this light. I ordered two of them since the goal was to build two of these 2D lights (one for downstairs and one for upstairs). Now I only need to get another 32-LED light so that I can build me the a second 2D light :)

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Not bad for a ready to use module ;)

Now, at $60 bucks for the 36-LED module (closest to mine), I would not consider that a good "value" when my module (although much simpler in functionality and just a single ON-OFF mode) cost about $20 total in parts. Plus you would miss the "fun" of building your own - "priceless" ;)

Will

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
I designed the modules, so yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about.

It is alot more fun to design something from scratch then buy off the shelf, because then everyone has it and you are no longer unique.

wquiles

Flashaholic
DCFluX said:
I designed the modules ...
That is totally awesome !!!

Are these a fairly recent offering? I have not seen these mentioned in the forums before. Did you also designed the high power ones?

Will

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
I've been working on the project for close to 3 years, but it has only been withen the past 4 months that they have been avalible from a distributor.

Yes, the high power model uses the same power supply board, just has 6 1W Cree Xlamps.

The 9 LED model is resistor drive only, but it is cheap and alegedly that is what consumers want.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, good emergency light is right. Since it's votlage regulated you don't have to worry about using fresh cells. You can throw in used ones and it will fire right up. Great when all the other flashlights are too dim, just rob their cells in a pinch and get light.

The flood light is very good for indoor power out situation, when you need to illuminate a wide area for general use.

You could run the other micro puck and double the current to the exsisting light too. ~25ma each led w/fresh cells would be nice. Runtime would be affected, but still long!

So are you going to do a runtime test since you have so many batts? :D

wquiles

Flashaholic
IsaacHayes said:
Nice, good emergency light is right. Since it's votlage regulated you don't have to worry about using fresh cells. You can throw in used ones and it will fire right up. Great when all the other flashlights are too dim, just rob their cells in a pinch and get light.

The flood light is very good for indoor power out situation, when you need to illuminate a wide area for general use.

You could run the other micro puck and double the current to the exsisting light too. ~25ma each led w/fresh cells would be nice. Runtime would be affected, but still long!

So are you going to do a runtime test since you have so many batts? :D
So far the 12mA/LED seems more than addequate around the house, so I will take the longer running time :)

In terms of a runtime test, I don't have a data logger, and since this "could" be running for 16+ hours, it might be just too much "work" to be checking on it ;)

Will