Lumen measurements of popular lights

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a matter of weeks, I will be taking some of our lights up to LSI for integrating sphere tests. Since we have the sphere for a block of time, would you guys be interested in me testing some of your lights while I am at it?

As you know, integrating spheres are one of the best ways to test a light source. The sphere provides a lumen measurement, which provides an accurate reading of a lamp's total output. Although this is a superior measurement to Candela or Lux measurements, not everyone has access to a sphere (they are quite expensive).

I prefer to use LSI's (http://www.lightingsciences.com/) spheres because 1)LSI is a top level testing lab (they produce standard luminaries for other testing labs and, 2) they know quite a bit about integrating spheres since they actually make them onsite.

If you send your light into LSI to be tested, the standard fee is $150. However, since we plan on testing a large number of lights at one time, we get a much better rate. If your light meets the criteria, we won't charge you anything to test it. You ship it to us, we pay to have it tested, we pay to ship it back to you, and we publish the results on the CPF.

Obviously, I need to put certain restrictions on which lights are tested this time around. Otherwise we may be flooded with lights. If the first tests go well, we may expand it further.

For this test, I am looking for 1x123 lights only. Preferably those that are fairly new and fairly popular on the CPF. This way everyone then can use them as a reference for other lights. I am looking for suggestions of which lights are best for this.

There are various projects ongoing on the CPF to build "poor-man's integrating spheres", etc. Those project leaders are encouraged to send stable samples in for LSI testing. They can then use those samples to check the accuracy of their equipment.

I also invite manufacturers, reviewers, etc. It would be nice if I had some help with the tests. Local CPF'ers, manufacturers, etc are invited to come on testing day and help out with tagging, photographing, logging, etc.

Here's how this will work:

1. I hope that these tests bring more attention to the need for standardized testing in the industry. No more "1 million CP figures", etc.
2. This test regime is for lumen figures only and limited to 1x123 size flashlights. That is a flashlight powered by a single 123 cell. If this test goes well, I may expand it to other types of lights in the future.
3. We are looking for popular, newer model lights only. These are lights more likely to be in the hands of the average CPFer and can be used as a standard for comparing other lights.
4. Local CPF'ers are invited and encouraged to help me with the test. This includes photographing the units, tagging them, mounting them in the sphere, recording results to excel, etc. Reps from other flashlight companies are invited as well. We could have quite a bit of fun.
5. Email me at [email protected] and tell me what lights you would like tested. Don't just send me the lights without sending me an email first please. This will help me stay organized. I may refuse to test certain lights if they don't meet the criteria or we have too many of one kind already submitted.
6. Send your lights to our address below. The condition of the lights must be as follows:
a. 1x123 size only for this test
b. include 2 new common brand (duracell, etc) batteries with each light you send in
c. I may limit the number of lights per person
d. Configure the light to come on at full power with a simple button press
e. Include any instructions needed to verify that the light is indeed set for full power, etc
f. Make sure the optics are in good shape, etc. We may not agree to test the light if it is in poor quality and does not represent the typical unit for that model.
7. Our address is:

MTD LLC
Attn: Peter Gransee
3101 N. 33rd Ave
Phoenix, AZ. 85017

8. I will be testing the lights the week ending May 12th. I will not test lights that arrive after May 8th. All lights will then be shipped back via FedEx express saver insured within 2 weeks. If you can't be without the light for that time period, don't send it in please.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Peter

Last edited:

kahrman

Newly Enlightened
I would be happy to send an Inova T1 for testing. Just let me know.

Kahrman

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Peter!! I hope the lights that Tom Post is monitoring for the light meter testing can be re directed to this offer!!!

I will send you a short list of a couple lights I would like tested if acceptable. :eek:

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
Too bad it's only CR123s. A Fenix L0P would be interesting to compare against the AAA-P.

Greg

Yeah, I'd love to see how a AA or AA 2x light, namely the L1P and L2P, competes with the Lithium Ions lights :)

Last edited:

Robban

Enlightened
Dang. Wanted to send in my U-bin Raw :)

Would be interesting if Quickbeam (flashlightreviews.com) could send in a few of his lights to see how well his measurements match up with a proper test :)

carrot

Flashaholic
I'd like to see the Surefire E1L (with the fourth gen KL1) tested. I'll be getting one today, but I don't think I'd be willing to part (temporarily) with it so soon.

Can you make an exception for the Fenix L1P, as it's last year's favorite light?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot, I am going to have my hands full with just the 1x123 lights for this test. I would like some help from the local CPF'ers.

Like I said in my original post, I may repeat the tests with other types of lights if the 1x123 series goes well.

Peter

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter

Email sent on helping, just let me know. I can also contribute some 123 Rechargeable protected and unprotected if this will help

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Rycen and Lebkuecher.

Here's the lights people have offered so far:

Longbow Micra
HDS Basic 42 XR
Mr Bulk Lion Cub
(2) Ultimate 60-XRGT lights
Firefly III

McGizmo and Silverfox have also expressed interest in having various lights tested.

As it stands, it appears I have about 20 lights to test. I think we can fit in more than that. If someone wants me to test their L1P or L0P, I think we can fit them in on this test. Post here or email me please.

Peter

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a good idea...

perhaps :D New Arc :D 123 Light is coming up :D

...and Peter want's to test it against the compitition :p

I may be wrong.. but why would a MTD want to test lights in only a specific format :D .... that too a free service...

Peter, (though the chances are rare, but still let me ask) If I send you a QIII modified and DD's with R123 & TWOJ Luxeon running at around 1 Amp.... and in return... request you to send me back a new :D upcoming :D Arc CR123 Light :D ... will you be accepting such a offer? .. .. i would do away with my first luxeon light :D in return with Arc 123 ....

:nana:

I am :stupid: .. I know

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish the Fenix P1 was available. Hopefully the Jet1 will be in hand by testing time.

I can't provide any lights for testing (unless the Jet1 is in my hands), but I'd like to see the following, if somebody else could:

Amilite Neo T3
Peak Rainier
Fenix P1 (if available)
Jetbeam Jet1 (if available)
McLux III PD (I can't live without mine:whistle:)
Nuwai Q3 (stock)
Fenix L2P with 123A battery tube
Pierce M10

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter

Looking forward to seeing the results! Any updates on the list?

I've all ways felt like there should be one standard that is consistent on the CPF for direct comparisons. The LSI result with a beam shot should be enough to give anyone a very good idea of what to expect out of a light.

I personally would be willing to commit my time in helping to organize a CPF testing schedule for future lights and test if enough people felt like it would be a useful tool. Maybe once every three months we could have a certain number of lights tested and have a thread dedicated to the results. Start out with a thread dedicated to a vote before each test to see what the majority of CPFers would like to see tested. The obvious concern is what would it cost to do this and how to generate the funds to pay for the test. I believe Peter is right on with having one standard. Anyway if people like the idea I will help make this happen on a regular basis. Any thoughts?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter-
I'll try to send you a GatLight V2 prototype if I may. I have an early prototype that is on/off only without the multi brightness levels. Do you mind if I send that one out to you for testing? Right now we only know what the LEDs deliver (according to the manufacturers) I would love to get an idea what the final output is, even though the driver in that unit is not the same one we use for the production versions.