Have you received Hepatities immunization?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you guys been immunized for Hepatitis A,B and C ? I got shots for all 3types. My uncle, living in Texas, found out that he has hepatitis C. The doctor told him that the treatment will cost $6000.00 US clams.

Holy molly batman !! I never realized treatment of common disease is so expensive in the US. :drool: :drool: :huh:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no vaccination for C that I know of...maybe in Canada, but haven't seen one here. Are you sure it was A, B, and C? It is a series of three shots each for A and B, given a few months apart. They have a combo A+B vaccine, but if you were previously given A and B in separate shots, you cannot get the combo.

I have received several for Hep A and B, courtesy of the US Army. I'm sure if C was available here, the Army would've hooked me up with that too.

JM-99
(I just did a search on google and all of the sites I looked at said there was not currently a vaccine for Hep C. :shrug:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="vaccination+for+hepatitis+c")

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was immunized for the hepatitis that's transmissible through food... I think that's hep A? Had it at the local state-run clinic, I think for hepatitis, typhoid, tetanus and the various other pre-Asia-trip immunizations the total was $125.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
In todays world, with the huge number of HepB carriers not even recognizing that they have the disease, it is imperative that you have a HepB vaccine.

HepA is not generally a big deal, most people who test positive aren't even aware they've had it, but if you can have the HepA+B vaccine, it makes a lot of sense, just in case you are the one it hammers!

Bill

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Yeah, I did A and B for Asia trips and working in a medical environment, they are useful to have, and not terribly expensive. Sucks to be sick, ounce of prevention and all that. Like have 100 flashlights around the house, *just in case*!
daloosh

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if google has update on hepatitis C vaccine. my uncle's doctor told him that the hospital can treat him but the cost is 6k.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, "vaccination" is different than "treatment". There are treatments available, but the information I read stated that there is no vaccine for Hep C because it mutates too quickly.

I would be very curious to see a copy of your shot card showing Hep C vaccination!! :)

JM-99

AW

Newly Enlightened
I would say that 6K is a good deal if that can get the Hep C treated considering the high chance that'll progress to liver cancer.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I checked for a patient, 6K was about the cost for the interferon, not including the labs, doctors visits, etc. that go with treatment.

Bill

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO this is a very good subject for CPFers as we tend to be more into the preparedness thing.

Yes, I've had the full three shot series for Hep A-B. I live in New Orleans and the full series is recommended for everyone, although I really don't think many have followed up on the second two.

I finished the whole series a couple years ago -- way before Katrina. I would heartily recommend the whole series to any CPFer with any kind of a preparedness bent -- it'll be one less thing to worry about if the bell rings in your town. Preparedness is all about giving yourself options for the future. This is something that you may take care of now and that will free you to deal with more pressing needs if everything turns to crap in the future.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub,

I have a feeling that you could write the course on preparedness!!

I wish you would write out everything you did in the 3 years or so before Katrina for long term preparedness, mid term preparedness, and short term preparedness.

I think it would and should be required reading for all returning and for anyone who lives in an area where any kind of natural disaster might occur. (BTW, everyone, that's pretty much all of us!)

Bill

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Got the Hep-A vaccination year ago when I started visiting SE Asia. Also made sure Tetanus was updated. Doc did not feel Hep-B was necessary so did not do, but will revisit issue with him next appointment. Currently in the Philippines now. Pretty sure Hep-C vaccination does not exist. Yet.

drizzle

Enlightened
bruddamoke said:
Got the Hep-A vaccination year ago when I started visiting SE Asia. Also made sure Tetanus was updated. Doc did not feel Hep-B was necessary so did not do, but will revisit issue with him next appointment. Currently in the Philippines now. Pretty sure Hep-C vaccination does not exist. Yet.
I also got the Hep-A when I travelled in Brazil. The Health Department nurse also told me that I didn't really need the Hep-B. Now that I've read this thread I may just get the Hep-B anyway for general preparedness.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picard--the Hep B immunization schedule is a series of 3 shots.

There is an immunization for type "A" and "B." There is no immunization for Hep C.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hep B is a widespread bloodborne pathogen.

Anybody traveling abroad, healthcare workers or anybody working/living with people who could have Hep B (dorms and such) would be wise to get the Hep B series. The benifits would far outweigh any drawbacks of getting the vaccine.

That is all

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Millions of people are HepB carriers and don't know it. The virus can take many years to demonstrate itself before it causes problems, but it is highly contagious long before it demonstrates any symptomology.

Anyone who advocates NOT having it when you are already having a HepA vaccine is not giving good advice!

Statistically, it is much more likely to cause an infection than HIV virus.

Years ago the statistics were:

A needle stick from a needle used on an HIV patient was likely to cause HIV infection 1 in 200-300 sticks.

A needle stick from a needle used on a HepB patient was likely to cause HepB infection at least 1 out of 3 times.

HepB is much tougher to kill, the virus can live on dry surfaces for long periods, and can't be killed with a low concentration bleach solution near as easily as HIV can.

HepB is much more virulent than HIV is, and many HepB patients develop HepC, though we aren't 100% sure why or how.

Finally, although it is a bloodborne pathogen, I have seen patients who have contracted it and we have never figured out the vector they were exposed to.

The saddest case was a school teacher with Liver Ca who contracted HepB and HepC because he stopped to help a guy who had been assaulted. There was a lot of blood, both from the victim and the assailant, and by the time anyone realized what had happened, the victim was also positive. No one knows if the victim had it prior to the assault, (he didn't know if he did). The assailant (never found) may have been the carrier, but we'll never know. This was in the Late '80's, imagine how many more people have it now!!

Some blood drives at high schools have shown as high as 10-20% positives, I've heard, but I suspect that may be one of those urban myths.

Bill

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finished treatment (tx) for HVC at the first of the year. I was genotype 1b so the tx was 11 months. I can tell you that tx costs way more then $6k. The ribaviron and interferon costs $2600 per month.
What genotype does your uncle have? Has he had a PCR Quant? Has he had a biopsy?
Please let me know. I can refer him to some great HVC sites for more info and support.
Here is a picture of the prefilled shots. I went through 48 of them.
dscf0662small9do.jpg

Last edited: