Streamlights' new 2AA Task-Light?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightguy just sent out an email advertising SL's new 2aa Task-Light. 8 hours on high and 50 hrs on low w/ a "Rigel" LED. They claim 80% output of a Luxeon (claimed 25 lumens).

Anyone had a chance to play with, err use, one of these?

Jon

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one the other day. I got a 1x AA version at the same time. The emitter of the 2AA seems to be the same or similar to the 0.5 W Nuwai and RiverRock lights. It is slightly blueish on hi and a little more blue on low. Compared to my other lights and their known approximate lumens, the 25 lumen claim is about on or only a little low. I'd say 15 lumens min, most likely around 20 lumens, but that is a very inexperienced approximation.
It feels fairly well built, not great, but what I'd expect from a sub $20 light. I paid $15 from Botac. It uses an optic, but looks like a shallow one, so does not have a super tight beam, it has a decent spread out center and good spill. The high level comes on with the first press of the button, then low, then off. A useful setup, and I have been using it around the house the last few days - mostly on low, which is fine for navigation. It is longer than a minimag and even longer than my Inova T3. The tailcap seem seems the cheapest part of the light. The rest of it feels solid, including the button. Smooth finish is hand friendly in normal use, but not so confidance inspiring for wet conditions as the knurling is not where my fingers fall when using the side button. Cheap lanyard on a small split ring pre-installed through a small hole in the tail cap that makes tail standing not so easy. It can tail stand once you remove the ring, but you may need pliers and will scratch the finish. It is a long lanyard ~ 8-10." I'm at work and it's at home.

The 1AA version puts out a lot less light, the claimed 8 lumens may be correct. It is of course a lot more compact and pocket friendly. It uses an actual lens, not the flat glass that is typically called a lens, but a mild focusing lens that puts out a nice even beam. It's single 5mm led put out a decent amount of light in a decent beam with a wide but tapering off hot spot. The beam had about four distinct rings as the light falls off away from center. Claims to last 80 hours on low. That is tempting me to do a run time test.

I like the 1AA better, but because of it's shorter length makes it easier to carry.

Let me know if you would like any more specific info.

Last edited:

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, thanks!

Brightguy says its beam is focusable. I'd imagine with an optic this isn't really that useful. Any comments?

Jon

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, definitely not focusable. There is no provision to adjust focus. The list at the bottom of their page that says "adjustable focus" is wrong.
The 1AA has about 45 degree field of spill.

I have the 1AA at work with me and I can already see some anodizing or coloring chipping off the edge of the tailcap where it meets the body.

Still not a bad light though because of the dual stage - really it's only appeal for me. A good light for a non torch enthusiast family member that will appreciate the common batteries, simple looks, and dual stage. I may keep it in my drawer at work to loan out and keep my new Inova X1 for myself.

Hopefully this light signals the spread of multistage to all price points.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correction: The 1AA version does Not have an actual light bending lens. I thought it did judging by the distinctly ringed beam, but I took a look at it and took the bezel off just a few minutes ago (was glued with some red stuff, but I must have strong fingers today) which revealed a simple flat plastic led protector/window. It has a deep (~25mm) light orange peel reflector.

Blindasabat said:
The 1AA version puts out a lot less light, the claimed 8 lumens may be correct. It is of course a lot more compact and pocket friendly. It uses an actual lens, not the flat glass that is typically called a lens, but a mild focusing lens that puts out a nice even beam... The beam had about four distinct rings as the light falls off away from center.

AshA4

Banned
PBS, the new inova x1 does away with the optic and now has just a plain lens. I still see both at my local Target.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Blindasabat said:
I just got one the other day. I got a 1x AA version at the same time. The emitter of the 2AA seems to be the same or similar to the 0.5 W Nuwai and RiverRock lights. It is slightly blueish on hi and a little more blue on low. Compared to my other lights and their known approximate lumens, the 25 lumen claim is about on or only a little low. I'd say 15 lumens min, most likely around 20 lumens, but that is a very inexperienced approximation.

WOuld you say it's brighter or less bright than the River Rock/Nuwai 2AAA lights? Have you tried rechargeables?

InfidelCastro

Banned
I just like to turn lights off and on quickly. I think having to click it 3 times everytime might be kind of annoying. Anyone know how this light compares to the 3AA Task-Light?

Bernie O

Newly Enlightened
I am new at this so if I am doing this wrong please say.

I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this company Botach ?

Their price on this flashlight is good and they ship free on orders over $100.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine from Botac and they shipped quickly with no problem. I ordered 3 Streamlights at the same time, the TL AA, TL, 2AA, and then the Xenon TL-3 for my brother to take on deployment.

I don't have a Nuwai 2AAA to compare to, but the Nuwai 1AAA I do have doesn't match the SL TL 1AA brightness. They are good lights, and I used the 1AA a lot during a trip to West Virginia last weekend. I didn't take the 2AA as I really got that one for curiosity and evaluation purposes and I had a lot of other lights along. I'm willing to sell the TL 2AA now, though I like how much brighter it is than the 1AA. I just won't carry it and I already have an HDS for every use I would use the 2AA for at home.

I have not tried rechargeables in it yet, but I don't see any reason why they would not work. I will try them and Lithiums tonight if I get the chance.

At this price, I'd recommend these to anyone that needs an easy to use, easy to feed, long life light with two levels that they won't be afraid to use or take anywhere.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're pretty cheap. Does it have momentary mode? Can you take it apart? Does it have twisty mode?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Bernie O said:
I am new at this so if I am doing this wrong please say.

I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this company Botach ?

Their price on this flashlight is good and they ship free on orders over $100.

Some people have had problems with botac, others have had great service. Try searching the cheers and jeers for more info.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
They're pretty cheap. Does it have momentary mode? Can you take it apart? Does it have twisty mode?

Yes, they are attractively priced.
No momentary, it has an electronic switch as far as I can tell. Tap for hi, tap again for low, tap again for off, repeat.
The bezel came off with some twisting (see my earlier post, I think my second one) to reveal the plastic window and the deep (25mm long) reflector, under which was the 5mm LED and electronics.
Only has a twisty mode as much as any clicky light does: unscrew it and eventually it will turn off. I would not consider twisting it a useable method of turning it on or off.

Bernie O

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Offroadcmpr for the info about "cheers and jeers " I am new to all this.

Decided to go with Brightguy.