Question for those who wear suits to work.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Being that I will soon have a degree in telecomunications management and am activley involved in the co-op program at my school, I recently purchased my first full suit for job interviews, buissiness dinners, pimp outings, etc...

I went to Men's Warehouse without shopping around simply because I had bought a spot coat from them just to "get by" for high school graduation. I liked their customer service and they would tell me what is best/what looks good. (I know this is often a consumer mistake because they are probably good guys, but they are still salesmen.) I'm used to wearing jeans and a polo or kind of heavy EMT utility pants with zipper duty boots. Any knowledge of suits is completley foreign to me.

Went in, walked out in about 30 minutes having spent $500.

I bought (was sold :grin2: ):

Pronto-Uomo two button suit $319
Joseph & Feiss Cotton Shirt (Double Layer Fabric with extra plastic things for the collar) $49
Paul Dione Silk Tie $29

To my suprise, they now charge for alterations.

"Coat- Lengthen Both" $14
"Coat- Re-cut" $80
"Pant Plain bottom" $7

Before I went back to pick it up, I realized the shoes and belt I had in mind had disapeared, so:

Bostonian Shoes $99
Leather Belt $29

After a grandtotal of $630.95, and three salesmen later.. I had a suit. They enrolled me in the perfect fit program and should be sending a $50 gift certificate to me. So, I'll probably go back and get a different colored shirt and tie for maybe $20 out of pocket.

I think it looks damn good, and I think it makes me appear slimer (Always a plus). The stuff feels like it's pretty good quality, and I wore it for about 8 hours without an overwheleming urge to take it off. Those are also the most comfortable dress shoes I've ever worn and they were right out of the box. The double layer construction of the shirt is really nice and comfortable, and the silk tie seems to tie easier then cheaper walmart/kmart kinda ties. (Although it might just be my mind because it cost so much.)

I told my friends about it, and they thought I was crazy for having spent so much. They said I could go to JC penny or shop around to get a suit that looks the same for $250. I mean, this might be possible, but why would men's warehouse have such a huge mark-up? and.. I doubt theyd offer as much service and custom fitting.

So I pose the question to you, my fellow CPF'ers, Did I get ripped off? It didnt seem too bad, as I would probably spend $250 on a SF, and all those career development courses I took said always look your best and spend money on good clothes. Interviewers and customers will notice it.

I did notice that my normal EDC loadout (minimal in comparison to some of us here on CPF) was cumbersome and felt awkward in the pockets.) How do you deal with this?

I had:

Wrist: Cheapy ($50) Relic Watch
Left pants: Cell Phone and clicky pen
Right Pocket: Key ring with 6 keys, fenix L0p, and EMT oxygen key on it, 3 quarters, and small case two bladed pocket knife
Back: super slim wallet

I didnt even have an ultra stinger or anything, and I think im going to have to change something if I need to wear a suit to work every day. I don't fancy the idea of stuff in the jacket as this might be a removable part of the attire.

I guess I got a lot to learn about "real" clothes? :lolsign:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the aerospace company where I work, business casual (down to and including just plain sloppy) is the norm for work, unless you have customers or upper management visiting in which suit is needed. As a younger employee, you should probably avoid the just plain sloppy end of business casual until you've been there a while. Only you can judge what your work environment requires.

Alterations being extra is new to me, but if you like the way you feel and look in a suit, then $400 for a good suit isn't out of line. I went to our local "3 Day Suit Broker" and got something usable for $300 or so. The shirt and tie sound a little high unless you're at a place where people actually notice fashion (not the case in most aerospace).

For EDC, you basically just have to carry less until you think it looks OK, but usually it's easier to hide stuff in a suit than without one. I have smallest (like 1.5" blade) Buck knife plus keyring (with AAA Chinese clone light), Dorcy 1AAA, comb, and wallet. You might put some small light on a pouch in your belt if you need to, depending of your judgement; but I'd recommend at least initially you put extras in whatever kind of case you will carry with you.

If you need to wear a suit every day, then you'll need at least one more, and maybe some slacks and a sport jacket as alternatives. A less expensive version might do as the 2nd suit. For your sake, I hope you don't have to.

Good luck.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
The extra cost is mostly justified by the expertise of the salesman in knowing what looks good or can be altered to look good on you. So consider it a fee for "full service." But once you know what you like, you can order a suit from anywhere. Ordering from Asia can get you a high quality suit with a lot more pockets, including secret money and passport pockets perfect for EDC.

Of course if a sportcoat will do, there's always this: http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/30_sport_jacket.shtml Fourteen pockets, including one big enough to hold magazines or a laptop.

BTW, $319 is not a lot for a suit, and $250 at JC Penney would only get you the suit also.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The setup you bought sounds about right especially since you said it felt right. I've gotten a few suits at Men's Warehouse and they have some nice stuff and generally their people know their product.

For EDC you may have to shift some of your gear away from your pants pockets. Loaded suit pants pockets just don't hang right and you'll be opening yourself up for those "Is that a flashlight in your pocket. . ." jibes.

If you'll be wearing your coat most of the time then the "Bat Belt" technique will work. A couple of good holsters will take care of your light and cell phone, try horizontal mounts. A knife like the SOG Flash I (the clip is mounted to the very top end of the handle) will fit nicely clipped to your waist band behind your belt. It will all feel odd at first but you'll get used to it especially if you don't skimp on your daily wear.

Good Luck,
-LT

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I wear my suits for meetings and dinners. I've learned the find thinner items (wallets, watches, phones, flashlights) for carry with a suit so it doesn't bulk out and ruine the atire. I've got a ultra thin wallet that will hold what I need for the occasion, money clip for cash, a dress knife (gotta have one), and I carry my Proto TnC N cell (with 21280 cell) for a light. oh and a thin phone in the inside jacket pocket. I maintain my professional appearance and I getta carry my knife, flashlight and phone!

doug

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Men's Wearhouse also purchased K&G Superstore in 1999 as their discount outlet. Worth a look (seven locations in NJ) since prices are always 30-70% off list there.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
The suits price sounds correct, I bought mostly Van Heusen shirts(IMO quality shirts), ties? 30 bucks will get you a good hand made silk tie once in a while. Charging for alterations is a new one on me. AFAIK Gentry mens stores include alterations in the price.Silk ties are like flashlights as far as price and quality go hand in hand, one just isn't enough, and then the SO asks how much did you pay for that tie. If you can sneak pricy flashlights in, ties are a snap.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bottom line is: Cheap suits mostly look and wear cheap. I know there are exceptions but young brother (BTW- I'm 27 and a grad student lol) you probably did very well.

One of my good friends is a telecom manager and needed a suit. We went to a little Italian shop near Boston and he got an $800.00 INSANE suit. I've never seen better craftsmanship, fit (all included) and style. We named it the "big time" suit. I swear he could be president in that thing.

I just picked up a $350.00 suit (no counting tie shoes, belt or anything) and it is about two rungs down from my friends but, get the big time response. Looks and fits great (I'm also in Telecom).

Everyone will have a story about their "great buy" or tell you "you got screwed!" These peeps don't matter. If you feel you got a good deal and it's all gravy, you won!

Good luck on the hunt!

was_jlh

Enlightened
ColdSolderJoint,

If you have one nearby, check your local Belk department store occasionally. When the seasons change, they have very good clearance prices. I've seen suits for 75% off original prices and I've purchased several pair of pants and sports jackets at this discount.

As far as carrying, don't forget those pockets inside your coat. The last jacket I bought had three nice pockets inside the coat, which I use to spread stuff around so everything is not in my pants pockets.

Cell phone - have you tried a belt clip? I can't stand them, but a lot of people use one.

Knife - clipped with the body inside your waistband and the clip between the waistband and belt, in the area of your strong-hand-side hip. I do this a lot, very discreet.

Also when I get to my desk in the morning, I dump everything I don't have to have on me in a drawer until I leave the building.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Sounds about right. I bought a suit recently at Marshall Fields. Was disappointed to find that they now also charge for alterations. Last suit I bought there they didn't Something about being bought by Macy's (Federated). Not sure what a double layer shirt is?

Professional clothes can be expensive, especially if you are just starting out. Here are some of my suggestions for looking good on a budget:

1) Stay simple and boring. Clothes with too much personality (e.g. fancy collars or shirts with distinctive patterns) will go out of fashion quickly and you won't be able to wear it every day. I could wear the exact same clothes every day for a week (less tie) and most people wouldn't notice. All my dress shoes and dress socks are black, all my dress belts are black. (Almost) All my shirts are solid colors - white or shades of blue.

2) Unless you're in a sales job, you can usually get away with a sport coat and trousers instead of a suit. I have three sport coats that I cycle in with my suits. All my trousers are dark earth tones. Every guy should have a navy sport coat. Much more efficient as trousers wear a lot faster than coats.

3) Get decent stuff - it will last longer. Our office went "Business Casual" many years ago but I still wear wool dress trousers. They look a heck of a lot better for a heck of a lot longer than Dockers, which start to look pretty worn within a few months.

4) Bargain hunt. Decent ties and belts can be found at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. You may have to look through quite a few but not hard to get high quailty stuff for 75% off.

Other suggestions - learn how to tie a half windsor and a four in hand knot (for thicker ties or a more casual look) Keep a spare tie and a botttle of "instant shoe shine" in your desk. Wear a plan white t-shirt under your dress shirt (it looks better). Change out of your work clothes and hang them up as soon as you get home .

Good luck!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get good quality and it will not only last but usually doesn't go out of style. You do get what you pay for. My wife kept complaining and couldn't understand why I couldn't find a good looking suit for under $300 until I tried on a sport coat that she thought was just perfect. She didn't realize it was a $600 Hugo Boss sport coat (coat, not suit, mind you) until I pointed that out. Kept her quiet for the rest of the suit hunting expedition.

If the store won't be able to do it, find a tailor who can alter the suit. When you get it tailored, they will measure you in as many as 30 locations and ask quite a few questions. Tell them what you carry on a daily basis. A good tailor is worth their weight in gold. You can carry a dump truck and not have it show in a well tailored suit.

Summer is coming so think about all cotton shirts or ones with a high cotton content. They breath and keep you cooler. Yes, they are a pain to keep looking wrinkle free, but a little spray starch or a trip to the cleaners will handle that. Hot, humid weather and poly-cotton shirts isn't a sexy combo. You will feel and look better much better. Also, get very good shoes. Your feet will thank you for it when you get old.

Carrying crap in a suit usually looks bad. Unless you want to carry a dressier EDC bag or a briefcase, the easiest thing to do is to slim down the things you carry and minimize the number of things you EDC.

nethiker

Enlightened
You were able to find a suit you like, measured for alterations, plus accessories, with customer service you valued...all in 30 minutes? I'd say that's priceless while you got it for an honest buck.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between my sons and I we have purchased 12 suits in the last 18 months.

The best bang for our buck has come from Men's Wearhouse, and one of my sons and I will be headed there Friday for some alterations and a few new items.

We've bought off the web, we've bought from Macy's and Nordstrom's and several others.

We've paid more, we've paid less.

BUT...while there is always better, you meet the law of diminishing returns pretty quick in clothes. From what we can tell, Men's Wearhouse works at the middle when in comes to prices and does it with clothes that are the bottom of the top end. The Perfect Fit program can be a lifesaver when you are young, as the waist goes up in size or the shoulders get thicker, etc.

You did well, you MIGHT do it cheaper, but probably not cheaper and better!

Bill

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice choice in the shoes. Bostonians are great! I wear a shirt and tie everyday, and if you skimp on dress shoes you have to wear everyday, they'll fall apart.

ibcj

Enlightened
I don't think that you got ripped off, but you could look for some sales in the future. Alterations seem a little high, but you are in NJ.

It pays to buy a nice suit and people will notice it. I try to buy nice suits, but only when they are on sale. Any way you cut it, wearing a nice suit isn't cheap. Your buddies who want you to get a cheap suit, don't see it as important most likely because they don't wear suits regularly.

As far as EDC goes, you will have to streamline what you carry and holsters work very well as long as you aren't wearing ten of them.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
gotta have the "big time" shoes..

That instant shine sponge form Kiwi is worth it's weight in lumens! Unreal qucik shine for those improv moments

benh

Newly Enlightened
When I was in Thailand, I had two suits made and 6 shirts made, all made to measure. All ended up being very high quality workmanship and materials.

I think I paid $100 each for the suits and $20 each for the shirts. The suits were lightweight wool, in very classic colors and cuts. The shirts were all medium weight silk.

I'm a jeans and tshirt guy, but when I wear one of those suits, I look amazing. They look and fit like a $600+ suit.

If I ever need another suit, I think I'll go back to Thailand and get it made. The country is really amazing in many ways (and I'm not talking about the sex tourism) and if I could have arranged it, I probably would have stayed there indefinitely.

If you factor in airfare and all that, it would have been a $1000+ suit, but I was there for work so that wasn't a factor for me.

It's worthwhile to pay for alterations. A good tailor can work magic.