Super MJLED PR bulb question?

LiteSabre

Newly Enlightened
I've just got 2 Super MJLED PR based bulb from lighthound. I installed one on a 2xAA and one in a 2xD body. The one in the D size produced what looks like 3-4 times the light that the 2xAA did. Is there something wrong because they are still 3V each so why the big difference?

Also, these were meant as 3V replacement bulbs; what if I install it on a 3xD body? Would it blow the bulb or would I get more lumens or even more run time.

Thanks for any response.

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
LiteSabre, I ordered two today, so with luck I will let you know in a couple of days if I see the same result. Does the bulb itself actually look brighter in the 2-D, or could it be a result of the larger reflector?

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some of those bulbs and I'm very satisfied.
As a warning, do not install the PR SMJLED in a 3-cell flashlight, it will die prematurely.
The SMJLED bulb, by design, requires a deep and large reflector. I have one in a Mag 2C and it produces a perfect pencil beam.
A large faceted reflector, as found in many cheap 2D lights, produces a wider spot that is also very round. I have found the Ray-O-Vac 2D angled light with the faceted reflector to produce a wonderful smooth and round beam, same as the Varta 2D.
Many 2AA lights have a shallow and small reflector, thus projecting a poor beam and directing most of the light as spillbeam.
I have found the Osram 2AA and the Garrity 2AA to be to most suitable, other than Mags lights the bulb was designed to be used with.

Hope this helps

Anthony