Which lights will provide everlasting joy?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I've got close to 200 LED lights and maybe 100 incad lights. Most are not used - basically left for the possibiity of handing out in emergencies. More than I could ever use in a lifetime. Many of the incad lights have been modified with LEDs. Many are in survival kits, car kits, and motorcycle kits loaded with lithium - and will probably remain there. I only have a hand few that I actually use and enjoy on a daily basis. Except at night at home in bed - where I ususally end the day comparing, switching parts, exchanging batteries, and doing my never ending comparisons.

The one light I have carried and used everyday for many years is a Infinity UltraG. There are much brighter lights, fancier lights, and obviously much more expensive lights - but the dog gone thing is always there, always works, and provides daily light for 90 percent of my normal needs. I believe this light will be providing me joy of use for many many years. I have one surefire LED and one surefire incad - which are both great light - each using two C123s. No complaints and they are fine lights, but neither do I carry every day in my pocket. WHAT ABOUT YOU?

Anybody else got a ton of flashlights just collecting dust? Where does it end? And yes, I was just flashlight shopping again today. Its obviously become a "hobby" and perhaps compulsion - or maybe a real disorder :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You are definitely not alone. I've not got as many as you, yet, and most are gathering dust. I still try to justify a purchase by reasoning a new light will fill a niche, but that's usually a stretch in reality. It's just fun to get something new, whether you need it or not. What makes it even worse, or better, is that I'm the same way about cheap little radios. Just got another one of them. I think it's hobby, compulsion, and disorder all rolled into one. And I don't really want it to end.

Geoff

CLHC

Flashaholic
"Which lights will provide everlasting joy?"

I have a number of flashlights, but as for one that'll provide "everlasting" light that'll not fail—the sun and the stars above. :wave:

carrot

Flashaholic
I have luckily not reached that point where any of my lights are collecting dust, but I can sense it coming on. Since getting the E1L, which compliments the A2 well, I cannot see any possible percieved need for more lights. After I own a 3-cell light or two, like a SL TL-3 or SF M3, both of which I intend to purchase, I think it'll come to the point where I won't be able to convince myself that I *need* another light for some purpose or other. At that point, "need" becomes want.

I think we need to face it, flashaholism is an insatiable addiction.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
CHC,

I respect any comment coming from a 3,000 plus candlepowerforum poster - but I got to say that you are behind on the discovery channel. Just finished watching a documentary outlining the life cycle of stars - including the predicted death of our sun !! But - your point is well taken :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Yukon_Jack said:
. . .I got to say that you are behind on the discovery channel.
Well, I don't have cable, just the simple ole' local broadcast that's all. :wave:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately it really doesn't matter how many lights you have or how much you like you favorite one because the quest for the perfect light will always continue. This is just who we are.

Delvance

Enlightened
I don't have alot of lights and some of them are collecting dust already to be honest...but it's not so bad. Everytime i see one get dusty, i'll EDC that one or play with it some and then continue onto next dusty light. So like some endless loop, they all manage to get used, just not constantly.

As for the everlasting joy one...out of all my purchases/tinkering, i'd have to say hands down the light that was worth every cent and solder would be my 3D M@glite 120 watter. Not the most practical of lights yes, but everytime i switch it on, i either laugh evilly or laugh inside as it decimates the dark.

JJohn

Enlightened
Lebkuecher said:
Unfortunately it really doesn't matter how many lights you have or how much you like you favorite one because the quest for the perfect light will always continue. This is just who we are.

Very well said.

For me it is the perfect light for each task. The best backpacking light, the perfect light for work activities, the perfect EDC, the perfect emergency light,... I keep coming up with new needs when in reality, my HDS U60 and the AAA luxeon that LED_ASAP made for me is all that I really need (okay... want). I don't understand it myself, so it is impossible to explain to others.

Oh well... whatever lights your torch...

John

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
Well, shucks...I'm about to trade off a SureFire (that's a first!) for some gear to take with me when I deploy, and I rarely use my A2, E2e or L4 anymore. I think that's really mostly a function of having decent choices that use other battery sources, though.

Yukon_Jack said:
I've got close to 200 LED lights and maybe 100 incad lights. Most are not used - basically left for the possibiity of handing out in emergencies.

"Occupation:
Property Manager"
Start giving 'em out to new tenants maybe..

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have too many lights (yet), but I amassed a collection of pocket knives years ago.

If there's a pocket knife in which I've lost interest and no longer use, I carry it with me and give it away as a "tip" for good service or as a friendly gift. That knife then gives two people more joy.

flashlife

Enlightened
parnass said:
I don't have too many lights (yet), but I amassed a collection of pocket knives years ago. ...

AH, pocketknives and flashlights ! ...
There seems to be a 'breed' of folks (the "be prepared crowd" ?) that are attracted to these tools and need to carry them everywhere. I guess I'm of that breed...

"Things every man (and woman) should carry:
Light, Fire, and a Sharp-Instrument. "

As for me:
Light - David 15 (Coast 7480),
Fire - Dispo. butane lighter from Dollar General,
Sharp - Kershaw "Leek"

Flashahols know no "everlasting joy"...always searching for that light with the better beam, better runtime, better price, better..better...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really think most of us (at least the really obsessed ones) will never be satisfied with any one single light. We are constanting searching for the perfect EDC, whether this light will ever truely exist is another topic all together, but this reasoning is the main reason why the current technology is advancing. It is because we aren't 100% satisfied with what is currently available, and will always want more.
In reality you could buy 1 really nice multilevel light (U60,Firefly3) and never need another light again for as long as you live, but how much fun would that be?

I myself get joy from my Fenix L1P. Mostly because it was my first quality light (replace my Minimag.. ugh) and it was the light that turned me from someone who liked flashlights, to someone who is truely obsessed with them. :grin2:

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened
I'm with yukon jack, the ultra g does it for me too.

If it had a two-stage twisty with a luxeon, I think it would be the last light I'd ever need.

Macaw

Enlightened
I've got some really high hopes for the Gatlight V2 coming my way. For the moment, it's my Peak Ranier; a true pocket rocket. Throws like the ****ens! Makes me smile...

edison

Enlightened
Lebkuecher said:
I agree with Lebkuecher entirely. The same applies to nearly all types of gadgetry.

The only light available now that is a safe bet for not becoming obsolete any time soon is the arc AAA.
Everything else that I have will probably be replaced eventually, but I expect the arc to stick around awhile.