LED lighting fixture 73lm/W

*Retired*
LED Lighting Fixtures, Inc.... achieved an independently verified 73 lumens per watt....The company used LEDs supplied by Cree, Inc.

http://www.solidstatelighting.net/lightimes/?date=2006-04-26&id=6670#top

Great news, this exceeds all the CCFL bulbs I've heard of, and puts it well into the realm of high end electronic ballasts combined with special high output linear fluorescent tubes.

Last edited:

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
75 lm/w is on par with system efficiency for a T5 or T5HO at 25C, but once a T5 reaches operating temperature it'll do 90lm/w+. For comparison, T8s manage between 80 and 90lm/w. All of this stuff is off-the-shelf, but some of it (T5s especially) are eyewateringly expensive.

It'll be interesting to see how much Cree's bulbs cost when (or if) they reach the market. If Cree can keep prices low enough they could take a good bite of the residential market in light (no pun intended) of rising energy prices.

enLIGHTenment said:
75 lm/w is on par with system efficiency for a T5 or T5HO at 25C, but once a T5 reaches operating temperature it'll do 90lm/w+. For comparison, T8s manage between 80 and 90lm/w. All of this stuff is off-the-shelf, but some of it (T5s especially) are eyewateringly expensive.

It'll be interesting to see how much Cree's bulbs cost when (or if) they reach the market. If Cree can keep prices low enough they could take a good bite of the residential market in light (no pun intended) of rising energy prices.

I'm guessing that thing costs quite a bit. I think its a good idea for emergency lighting though, because LEDs can operate from a low voltage battery source without the need for a ballast.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
As long as the LED can approach the efficiency and output of those compact fluorescent fixtures, they have the benefit of smaller packaging. CF fixtures are pretty clumsy. They can compete in packaging I think.

Bernie

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I'm nota member so I cannot see at what current this press release was taking about. We keep hearing about new breakthrough in efficiency yet they are mostly at lower drive currents, where LEDs have a easier time with heat production. I am interested to know how the lumne/watt curves look like in the big picture.

Although 73 is a good number, I'll take it... Imagine a LuxV with HALF that effiency...since most LuxV runs more realistically around 6watts, that's an x bin, no?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Given that LEDs with efficiencies >73 lm/W at almost uselessly-low currents have been around for at least 6 months, and given that the testing was done by a a lighting fixture manufacturer, let's assume (dangerous, I know) that the testing was done at a useful drive current. Any details, NewBie?

Luna

Enlightened
idleprocess said:
Given that LEDs with efficiencies >73 lm/W at almost uselessly-low currents have been around for at least 6 months,

Id guess they are leveraging that (rather than changing it) and utilzing the space afforded by the size of a light fixture.

*Retired*
idleprocess said:
Given that LEDs with efficiencies >73 lm/W at almost uselessly-low currents have been around for at least 6 months, and given that the testing was done by a a lighting fixture manufacturer, let's assume (dangerous, I know) that the testing was done at a useful drive current. Any details, NewBie?

Obviously, yes:

According to the company the latest prototype operates at 15 percent of the power of standard 65-Watt incandescent bulbs.

65W * 0.15 = 9.76W

73lumen/W * 9.67W = 705.91 lumens

*Retired*
Luna said:

There are some very important hall marks in there!

"Our results were documented by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory using stringent scientific standards," said LLF Chief Technology Officer Gerry Negley. "The tests were conducted using a six-inch recessed fixture and the light source was measured with an integrating sphere after reaching thermal equilibrium."

Note the "after reaching thermal equilibrium".

And the less than 10W for more than 700 lumens!

Luna

Enlightened
It even sounds like the reflector loses are being accounted for it is a standard 6inch can.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's very impressive! However, without being too cynical, that fixture probably contains LEDs that use pre-release top performing Cree dies. Any likelihood of those LEDs being available to mere mortal LED consumers like us???........... errrhh..... unlikely

idleprocess

Flashaholic
They'll probably become available within the next 6-12 months ... at which point the labs will be pushing the 125 lm/W barrier and you won't be happy with bleeding-edge 75 lm/W.

*Retired*
Had a chance to read the rest of the press release:

"LLF's latest prototype fixture operates using less than 15 percent of the power of standard 65-watt incandescent bulbs and 50 percent of the power of compact fluorescent bulbs, while delivering equivalent warm white light as measured in lumens."

Thats darn good.