Question About Driving in Puerto Rico

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I might have to go to a place on the west side of Puerto Rico called Cabo Rojo. I've never been to PR before. Apparently all the flights land in San Juan, and Cabo Rojo is about a two drive from there. Is it safe to drive a rental car across the island? Are there any other options? Does the route matter? Any suggestions?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been there, but back in high school, my Spanish teacher was from Puerto Rico, and I remember him saying that their freeways look just like those here in the U.S.. My guess would be that it is safe.

magic79

Enlightened
Was there in November. Rented a car. Besides AWFUL traffic during rush hour and difficulty finding a place to park, it's just another American city.

Be sure to see Old San Juan. Also, liquor is EXTREMELY cheap. I think they don't have to pay federal taxes. Bring back all you can carry!

Nothing to worry about. Beautiful place though...take a camera.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I guess the thing I was concerned about was whether driving through the interior of the island was safe. I had heard that there were some security problems in the mountains and less-populated areas?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Puerto Rico is having some major issues right now. This may cause you some issues if you go there in the near future...:

Puerto Rico Government is Days from Shutdown:

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Nearly 1,600 schools shuttered. Some 205,000 public workers unpaid. Most government offices closed.

The U.S. Caribbean territory is staggering under a nearly $740 million budget shortfall and heading toward a grim scenario Monday, when it will run out of cash to pay salaries and provide public services if local lawmakers don't approve a bailout plan.

Talk of the possible shutdown dominated the island Wednesday.

Puerto Ricans jammed gas stations and supermarkets amid rumors that truck drivers would go on strike to force the government to resolve the crisis. Callers flooded talk-show phone lines, expressing anxiety about how it would affect them. Union leaders and government workers lashed out at politicians.

A doctors' group said the government may not be able to provide adequate medical care for the 1.6 million people with public health insurance in the U.S. territory. The doctors said 1 million government-funded prescriptions filled each month were also at risk...

-Bill

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive heard bad things from contractors who go down there to string cable. Not many speak english and man stores like ford and chevy dealers do not honor the us warranty on a car brought over.

You would be better to go to the bahamas, buremeda(SP?) or French Indies. Why you want to go, beats me. Just what contractors tell me.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Lightmeup said:
I had heard that there were some security problems in the mountains and less-populated areas?
:thinking: Maybe in Colombia, but Puerto Rico? I don't know. Never really been there, but all the Puerto Rican people I know are super friendly and I know it's beautiful. I hear traffic is almost as bad as Panama City, if you've been there before.

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
I've been there several times. My father-in law was born there and my wife has a few relatives that we visit in Puerto Rico from time to time. Wonderful island full of a rich and diverse cultural history. I've had no problems driving on the highways in Puerto Rico, except driving in San Juan can be a nightmare sometimes, but no different than driving in any large cosmopolitan city. Definitely check out old San Juan and the El Morro fortress.

Anyway, Spanish is the language spoken by the majority, but it's easy to find English speakers. It's been part of the United States since 1898 and it's not all that different from living in the mainland.The people are also as diverse as they are here on the mainland, whites, blacks, Asians, mixed. Every one of them regard themselves as Puerto Ricans and are very friendly and lively people.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been going to San Juan sporadically for work for the past 15 years. Last time I thought I was in Chicago parked on the expressway. Plan on arriving at the airport when it's not near rush hour and the drive is tolerable.

If you have time, grab a fishing pole as some of the fishing spots are spectacular. And away from the city it is a totally different place. San Juan is just another crowded city. I did a walkabout in Old San Juan. It was definitely worth the traffic and parking congestion hassles to see.