What's the best LED light for Self-Defense

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
Most people here would say that it is wrong and possibily dangerous to rely on a flashlight as a personal defense weapon. YMMV.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Surefire L4: Small, concealable, easy to carry and 100 lumens. The new KL4 head I think has longer throw (but I am not sure, because I don't have an L4).

I use an A2, E2d or L2 for self-defense.

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened
For self defense i mean blind someone and then run away.
I'm not in US so no knife no gun allow for carry.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That'd be my SL Keymate! Yeah, it's small (about 2"), but oh, did I mention it's strapped to a midget with an oozie? :D

For blinding, get the brightest you can find/afford. flashlightreviews.com has output measurements for most of the lights reviewed. However, keep in mind, the "blinding someone" thing only really works if their eyes are pretty dark adapted. Otherwise, he can still just run at your to smack you.

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
Just blinding someone isn't the type thing you can rely on.

A better strategy would be blind, smack hard with something other than your fist, then run.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I would say, dont be in a bad part of town when its dark. If they wanna get you, they'll get you. But if you cant get out, as others said, something real bright. Maybe an Incan, like a M6??? It will only half way work if its pitch dark though. The thing you gotta do is try it on yourself, that way you'll know how long their vision will be impaired.

Good luck.

magic79

Enlightened
Shirley said:
Just blinding someone isn't the type thing you can rely on.

A better strategy would be blind, smack hard with something other than your fist, then run.

So if "just blinding" isn't reliable, geting close enough to hit someone is?

I think that's a collossally bad idea. Distance is your friend; don't voluntarily give that up!

litemup

Newly Enlightened
A good tactical light is great for the "surprise" situation. You'd be amazed at the damage one can do with, first, blinding light (dissorientation), and then, a couple very quick very hard hits to the face with the tac light. This will allow you more than enough time to retreat...
It absolutely boggles my mind that anyone would not be allowed to carry something to defend themselves in the event of an attack or serious situation. Carry what you need, and learn how to use it if needed. Also, have you ever considered mace? In addition to the tac light, buy some Fox brand pepper spray. This is the best made. I carry 2 - 1lb cannisters with me at all times in the big truck, (just in case stuff hits the fan). The 4oz. Fox brand cannister will also do the trick. I know I went off topic a bit. But he was asking about self defense.

Good luck, litemup

s0crates82

Newly Enlightened
3D Mag with a drop-in is pretty effective.

blind, then club, then saunter home while your attacker lies unconscious.

Paladin

Enlightened
If a "suspicous looking" individual has not presented you with an overt threat, shining a bright light in their eyes just MIGHT be all the motivation they require to kick your *** for being overly paranoid about their appearance.

Except as improvised impact weapons, flashlights are extremely over-rated as self defense tools. IME belligerant aggressive drunks have been totally unimpressed with the 200 lumen output of a TL-3 Xenon. A 3D maglite to the forehead DOES get their attention.

The 3C Streamlight Twin-Task light is a nice handfilling size, without being excessively large. Walking the street using one of the lower power LED modes is very discreet and non-threatening, and if you absolutely must "light something up" the Xenon high mode is on par with a Surefire P60 lamp.

Paladin
SL 3C Xenon beam shot, ~18 feet from garage door
Captured_2006-4-13_00014.jpg

SF P60 lamp
Captured_2006-4-13_00015.jpg

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strobe can be an effect, but I don't trust it.
Like others said, DISTANCE. If you have no distance, the strobe can be the reason for an escalation.
So take any light and look to distance:)

best regards

____
Tom

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
coucoujojo said:
For self defense i mean blind someone and then run away.
I'm not in US so no knife no gun allow for carry.

RUN AWAY?

------------------------

"Criminals must be taught to FEAR their victims."
-- Col. Jeff Cooper, "Principles Of Personal Defense"

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'd hate to be down to resorting on the light as a means of self defense, hopefully the Kimber would be convincing enough. But if it came to that, I'd hope I would be carrying the SF L-6 Porcupine. Big enough to effectively use as a club, and the stainless strike bezel could seriously create the need for a plastic surgeon. But as many have pointed out, I'd hate to have anyone get close enough to have to test that out. :naughty:

Yeah, I can't think of a light more useful as a weapon, except maybe a six D cell Mag. But the strike bezel on that L6 Porky is one sharp mofo. One mean-*** light for sure.

EricMack said:
Well, I'd hate to be down to resorting on the light as a means of self defense, hopefully the Kimber would be convincing enough. But if it came to that, I'd hope I would be carrying the SF L-6 Porcupine. Big enough to effectively use as a club, and the stainless strike bezel could seriously create the need for a plastic surgeon. But as many have pointed out, I'd hate to have anyone get close enough to have to test that out. :naughty:

changsn

Newly Enlightened
EricMack said:

You guys crack me up. Even if you had one, would you really be carrying it around (EDC) so that you could use it in case of an attack. The Porcupines are all shelf queens!
Sam