microsoft secuity question

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if i change mother board on pc will i have to do that darn rerigster thing?i know if its a diff mother board but what if i use the same brand chip set etc etc does it go by somnething else?

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hey Raggie,

As long as you get an exact MB, and it doesn't have a lot of integrated items (vga, nic, etc) (hopefully your other MB didn't have this either) that MS creates the hash then you should be ok. BUT if it is not an exact dupe, or it has integrated periphs, or it the MB is different then XP may not load period (since buses, chipsets, and the like are completely different from the ones the drivers previously loaded are looking for). Also a bit of FYI, OEM XP my also prove to be a bit of a pain since you can't just use the XP disc (since it will have been branded for the original PC setup).

I have done the switch on a 98 machine and it took about 20-30 minutes to load but it did. I have witnessed the same on a 2000 and it gave the BSOD. So all in all it really depends on how different they are and whether this it a OEM or Boxed XP.

Here is a link that says a bit more...

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=102260&seqNum=5&rl=1

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Shaman

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Raggie,

Also just a side note, if the XP version was OEMed on the MB then you'll have a problem since (if I remember correctly) XP lic will be tied to the MB thus you would need to purchase another XP lic. I am not 100% here but IIRC, this is the way that works.

Sincerely,

Shaman

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its a oem verion a windows that i bought localy it didnt come on a pc i just bought the cd its a legal windows but its oem.i do know when i tryied to put another mobo in that had same chipset but wasnt same brand board it wouldnt let me log in at all it said something like i changed to much or something i was so mad

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that hash that is created can be a real pain. Bad thing is if you go through a streak of bad luck, and your MB goes bad (and it had integrated periphs). You'd get tombstoned right then and there... sadly just as you have gotten. It can be cumbersome.

Sincerely

Shaman

metalhed

Enlightened
I had a video card crash on me several months ago, and had to reload XP on the 'new' machine...never had a problem. Is XP really that sensitive to a MB swap? Seems to me I've done that too (with a purchased OEM disc), and I don't remember having any problems...I do have a vague memory of once calling customer service for a manually-entered activation code, but I'm not sure it was that hardware change or not.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
It's not just the mobo. You can get nailed just by swapping enough peripheral devices. M$ has some kind of weighted tracking system and once you get a certain 'score', you are toast.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, a hash is created from various system cards & devices to create a unique 'key' if you will, that will be used as an identifier from the point of activation forward. They implemented this feature ensure that noone is installing the same XP licensed OS on multiple systems. Check the link I posted earlier and it will tell quite a bit on the activation process. Of course other OSes *cough* man the penquins *cough* don't have this feature. Right raggie :).

Sincerely,

Shaman