Question about Fenix L1P

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about buying a Fenix L1P.

Is it a good substitute for an Inova X1?

I like my X1, but I don't care for what passes as a "momentary on" function in that light. Frankly, it's lousy and unreliable.

I know that the L1P has a tailcap button, but does it function as a momentary-on switch as well as a click-on switch? This info will make or break this light for me.

Thanks for the info.

-Jeffrey

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't have to worry about momentary on, in the traditional sense, with the Fenix ... it doesn't have it. It's an on/off switch that you can flash with by going partially towards the off position or what people here call a 'reverse clickey"

You'll probably want to just keep looking if you're looking for a decent single cell AA light with a conventional momentary/constant on switch. Also please post here if you find one, I'd be interested in one as well.

If you want a single cell CR123, the Nuwai Q-3s from LED_Experimenter have momentary on, but it doesn't seem to be a generic feature from all vendors so exercise caution in purchasing.

I thought the X-1 had a tactical switch with a twist for constant on feature?

peacefuljeffrey said:
I am thinking about buying a Fenix L1P.

Is it a good substitute for an Inova X1?

I like my X1, but I don't care for what passes as a "momentary on" function in that light. Frankly, it's lousy and unreliable.

I know that the L1P has a tailcap button, but does it function as a momentary-on switch as well as a click-on switch? This info will make or break this light for me.

Thanks for the info.

-Jeffrey

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for what, to me, is very valuable information.

I have a Dorcy from Walmart (cheap enough, sure) that has the "reverse-clickie" as you say... I very much dislike it. To have to turn on the light before being able to use "momentary-on" is ridiculous. Why they make such a design, and who they think will actually find it useful and appropriate, is beyond me.

I guess I will indeed keep looking. I do like my X1, but it uses a combination "screw-on/momentary-on" design that is anything but reliable for momentary-on.

Thanks again for saving me the money it would've taken to find out I didn't like this light.

-Jeffrey

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
From that, I'd venture to guess that you're a little too young to remember the days when flash lights had on/off switches without a momentary on (including the original CNC aluminum flashlights designed for police use, the Kel-Lites,) or when slide switches were the norm for a flashlight (you'll still find them on the 99¢ lights.

In any case, I don't think the 'reverse clickies' are meant for that purpose, but rather as an off/on switch.

The momentary on with the X1 should work very reliably, if your's doesn't, you should consider contacting the manufacturer to get it fixed. And needless to say, the twist-on should be very positive; it's a simple mechanical contact. Historically, those twist on switches should be very reliable.

peacefuljeffrey said:
Thank you for what, to me, is very valuable information.

I have a Dorcy from Walmart (cheap enough, sure) that has the "reverse-clickie" as you say... I very much dislike it. To have to turn on the light before being able to use "momentary-on" is ridiculous. Why they make such a design, and who they think will actually find it useful and appropriate, is beyond me.

I guess I will indeed keep looking. I do like my X1, but it uses a combination "screw-on/momentary-on" design that is anything but reliable for momentary-on.

Thanks again for saving me the money it would've taken to find out I didn't like this light.

-Jeffrey

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
Jeffrey, in a few words: The Fenix L1P will blow away your Inova X1 as far as output is concerned. Also, I much prefer the clickie switch on the Fenix. It's a very small and very bright LED flashlight that will not disappoint. Naturally, it costs more than the Inova X1, but it's worth it in my opinion.