Introducing the Milky Candle Storm light!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I "commissioned" Scott awhile back to utilize his "Milky Candle" technology to build a power outage/storm light...which resulted in:

"The Milky Candle Storm Light"

Constructed in a rugged, clear/water proof Otter box - it has a 4 AA cell holder and when coupled with 2 well machined spacers and a couple AA dummy cells also allows one to run it off of 2 123 cells as well!

Using the appropriate number of dummy cells & spacers it produces "emergency lighting" with a variety of cell combinations. Scott's "Milky Candle" technology/wizardry results in a looooooong runner!

He incorporated two switches, power on of course AND a "Medium/Low/High" switch to suck every bit of juice out of the cells for even longer run times!

Overall it's very well built, the machining and build quality are of a very high quality. Scott did an excellent job on these! Thanks Scott and :thumbsup: for sure!

Here's some excerpts from my conversations with Scott:

"...using some truly spectacular (at least IMHO) 10mm LEDs in your lights... the color is definitely NOT pure white, but it's close enough for good color rendition. What I love about these things is that they seem to be very tough, operate on the usual 20mA (rather than things like the MJLED, SMJLED, etc.)... and punch out a surprisingly coherent circular hotspot farther into the distance than you'd imagine coming from a modest 20mA source! I used the same LED in the "Milky Redbird" mod I'd posted on CPF a couple months back.

Some other info... your lights have on/off toggle switch, plus a separate toggle that supports 3 brightness levels... the battery holder is 4AA but modded so it can also run off 2x123... the LED is aimed out the top of the box, which hopefully won't be a big deal... did this because the top has clear, flat plastic, whereas the sides are partially obscured by the hinge, seal, etc. Room illumination works best with bounce-off-cieling operation, though the boxes can stand upright so you could also use them as makeshift work lights, directing the beam in a particular direction. Also sending lanyard cords with the units so you could hang them up if you like..."

For your viewing pleasure:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm a big admirer of milky's creativity. He has the ability to turn almost everything into efficient lighting instruments. I have a convertible PVC light from him that I should post pics of; it runs off 1AA or 1x123, powering a Lux with an optic in front... all inside PVC. Amazing work. :twothumbs

Not only is he a great builder and modder, he's an awesome person too. He's the one who's trying (hard) to convince me that I can actually mod lights.