Motorcycle LED related

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Just something I thought worthy of sharing with this group - is my use of LEDs on my motorcycle.

I've traveled the Alaska Highway solo 22 times now by motorcycle. Although I don't recommend it, I often travel all night long. There are many streches of road 50 to 100 miles from nowhere and the weather can become extreme with little notice. More than once I've found myself in a position where I have no choice by to stop on the side of the very narrow road because of fog or heavy rain. My fear is always that someone else coming up behind me will run over the bike and perhaps me. Often, there is absolutely no way of getting the bike off the side of the road - and I simple can go no further.

What I did several years ago was to put LED flashers on the back of the bike (red) and also on the front (amber). I have them wired so I can run them flashing with the motor off. I've tested the bike/battery with all four flashers going for 8 hours running with no apparent affect on being able to still start the bike.

This may sound like a no brainer - but I've never seen anyone else with a similar front/back set up. It has been a life saver for me. Before - I simiply couldn't leave the stock hologen lights burning for hours on end because the bike would then not start.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
I agree, it does sound like an excellent idea. But arent emergecy vehicles the only ones allowed to have flashing/strobing lights while driving? (hazzard lights excluded)

soffiler

Enlightened
Skyclad01 said:
I agree, it does sound like an excellent idea. But arent emergecy vehicles the only ones allowed to have flashing/strobing lights while driving? (hazzard lights excluded)

He stated very clearly that he uses them when stopped by the side of the road.

Reading comprehension....

Skyclad01

Enlightened
soffiler said:
He stated very clearly that he uses them when stopped by the side of the road.

Reading comprehension....

Sorry, my bad. I was multitasking at the time. Forgive my earlier post then. :stupid:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
And no, it's not always illegal to have flashing lights. In many areas you can have flashing lights, though they're generally restricted as far as color..