Surefire Z32 vs. M2 bezel?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. They both have a rubber cushion inside that the bulb reflector rests up against.
I don't know about performance. The M2's is definately beefier outside and dissipates heat better but I don't know if they each have the same rubber shock isolation inside.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both as well. I've noticed that on a handheld 3-cell SF body, the Z32 sometimes may cause the light to flicker. I think the Z32 has a foam pad insert that causes the lamp to move around a little bit, causing the batteries to lose contact with it it the light is jarred. I think the M2 bezel has a thicker rubber foam pad insert that stabilizes it a bit more and I've had no problems with it on the same 3-cell light. The classic Z32 has a non-removable press-fit lexan lens and the M2 unit has a Pyrex lens retained with a screw-in ring, a plus for high-heat applications.

The Z32 is standard on the 618fa/fga and 918fa/fga Remington 12-gauge shotgun lights and the 310/610R .45 auto handgun lights as well as many others so I don't think it gives up anything to the M2 unit in terms of shock isolation. (Those weaponlights also have an internal shoulder that keeps the batteries from slamming into the back of the lamp under recoil)

It has been debated whether or not shock iso bezels are useful for lights only handheld, or even that shock iso is needed for weaponlights at all. I say a little bit of protection and a different look for the light is always cool. I just like the Pyrex lens and the big horkin' fins on the M2 bezel, but whatever floats your boat.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Shock Isolation used by SureFire is the same for various bezels be they Z32, BatonLight, M2, M3 or Millennium TurboHead. They feature a Neoprene-type foam strip.

The major differences between the Z32 and M2 bezels is that the M2 features significantly thicker metal, Pyrex window and HA. It is certainly more durable.

This is what happens if the metal thickness is less:
P203.jpg

One of the benefits of the Z32's Lexan window is that it can be replaced by the operator - important if the bezel is extremely close to the muzzle blast (MP5 forend etc) and gets fouled up as a result of heavy use. That said, the Pyrex window can be cleaned more easily without scratching it.

Flashdark

Enlightened
sween1911,

I also have a friend that had a similar "periodic" problem with his Z32 on a 9P. The problem was solved by replacing the head with an M2 bezel. I don't know the cause. We just "removed & replaced until fixed". Since the Z32 is Surefire's primary gunlight bezel, I'm thinking in terms of a "grounding contact" problem because of a non-standard gunlight body. Just a guess. I have NO technical expertise.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I initially had the same problem with the Z32. After elongating the tailcap and bulb spring slightly it never flickered again.