Any BSG fans out there?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
Farscape was a good series, but too bad it was cancelled. You know, you can get season 1 and season 2.0 of Battlestar Galactica on DVD. I think the other half of season 2 will go on sale in September. Did you catch the season finale? That one knocked my socks off.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Season 2 is on DVD? Where's that? Amazon (in my uncivilized region) only sells season 1 :rant:
bernie

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw all of season 1, but haven't had a chance to see ANY of season 2. Good to hear they are on DVD. I'll have to take a look.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apollo said:
Farscape was a good series, but too bad it was cancelled. You know, you can get season 1 and season 2.0 of Battlestar Galactica on DVD. I think the other half of season 2 will go on sale in September. Did you catch the season finale? That one knocked my socks off.
I waited and bought the entire Farscape shebang a few years ago, on dvd. I'll most likely do the samething with BSG.
And no, only seen those 2 episodes so far. :awman::rant:

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
Season 2.0 (half of season 2) has been available for a couple of months now. You can find the set at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc.. Or, you can get it at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNI90Y/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It begins with the episode "Scattered" which follows the events after Adama was shot and ends ends with "Pegasus." The other half of the season (2.5) would begin with "Ressurrection Ship, part I" and end with "Lay Down Your Burdens, part II". Season 2.5 was supposed to be released in July, but was pushed to September for some reason.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Yeah, major fan of the old and new series here. At first, being a fan of the campy original, I wouldn't watch it. Result is that I never saw the mini-series (Caprica attacked, etc.) of the newest one. Have seen every episode, however. Loved the season ender, can't wait for the new season.

Fans of the older show can appreciate some of the more subtle nods and allusions to it that the newer one makes. Universal HD reruns the episodes in HD, though they are several weeks behind. For a show that looks drab in standard def., it sure looks good in HD!

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
TorchMan said:
Loved the season ender, can't wait for the new season.

Yeah, that season ender was something. :rock:

It'll be interesting to see what the "Caprica" prequel will be like. I guess we'll see first hand why the Cylons hate humans so much.

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
I wonder if they will show the older Cylons like from the first series, in Caprica. The Centurions, the Lucifer series, the leader, etc.? I heard that in the mini-series you see old Centurions in the background.

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
Yes, in the Battlestar Galactica mini-series, you do see the old "walking chrome toasters" as they appeared in the original series aboard Galactica's museum in the starboard flight pod. I'm not sure if they'll incorporate the I.L. series Cylons from the original series, but remember, in the original 70's series, the Cylon machines were created by a reptilian race. In the new series, they were created by man. The "Caprica" prequel is supposed to explore the creation of the first Cylons on the Colonies and their eventual revolt against their human masters. It should prove to be interesting.

Navck

Enlightened
I'm not a fan, but my friend is a EXTREME fan of the 1978 series, and the second "contiunation" for 1980.
I've myself seen all the 1978 episodes, and think the characters are MUCH better than the newer "reimagined" ones.

Walt175

Enlightened
I am a fan of the original series, and am sorry Richard Hatch's idea for continuing the old series wasn't used. It would have been AWESOME!

The new series is good SF, but it just isn't BSG.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Oh .. I mistook the mini-series for season one it seems, and it further seems that season one isn't even released in Germany ... will have to look in the UK for that! Thanx for pointing that out !

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
Walt175 said:
I am a fan of the original series, and am sorry Richard Hatch's idea for continuing the old series wasn't used. It would have been AWESOME!

The new series is good SF, but it just isn't BSG.

Well, I'm going to differ and say that the new series is very much BSG. I too am fond if the original Battlestar Galactica, but it was a product if it's time. It's nostalgic to watch, but you've got to admit, the show was quite campy by todays standards. Then again, I was a kid when the original Battlestar Galactica came out and the series appealed to a younger viewing audience. The current Battlestar Galactica series is much more sophisticated and is more of a drama set in a Sci-Fi universe. The acting, screenwriting and effects are a million times better than the original. It's very much a modern BSG and done very well. Yes, it would have been cool to see Richard Hatch's idea for a continuation, but it never happened. Ultimately, he was going to be a part of a new Battlestar Galactica series no matter what and his current role as Tom Zarek is actually good.

Last edited:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I couldn't agree more with what you've written here Apollo. At first I was irritated at some of the changes in the new series (female Starbuck?), but after seeing one episode I was completely hooked. I do wish they would show more of the robotic looking Cylons. I can't figure out why a machine would want to look like a human, other than infiltration.

All of the actors are great. Mulitple sub-plots going on at once, and meshing together well. I'll be glad when they bring it back so that I can watch "Dr. Who" followed by "BSG." These two programs are redeeming the SciFi channel in my eyes. Most of their movies are mediocre at best, and how many times a day can you run a Star Gate episode? (Apparently around 8 times minimum.)

Apollo said:
Well, I'm going to differ and say that the new series is very much BSG. I too am fond if the original Battlestar Galactica, but it was a product if it's time. It's nostalgic to watch, but you've got to admit, the show was quite campy by todays standards. Then again, I was a kid when the original Battlestar Galactica came out and the series appealed to a younger viewing audience. The current Battlestar Galactica series is much more sophisticated and is more of a drama set in a Sci-Fi universe. The acting, screenwriting and effects are a million times better than the original. It's very much a modern BSG and done very well. Yes, it would have been cool to see Richard Hatch's idea for a continuation, but it never happened. Ultimately, he was going to ba part of Battlestar Galactica no matter what and his current role as Tom Zarek is actually good.