Surefire KL4 18650 options

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
Does the KL4 have any issues running off of 3.7V Li-ion batteries? If not, what bodies/switches will allow me to use 18650s with the KL4 head?

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
So far I think I've only found 2 tubes that work. The UBH and TBs tubes. I really like the Aleph tubes but none of them support the 18650.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The UBH doesn't either !!! :caution:
At least not up to version 2.

AFAIK the TB tubes are the only E-Series 18650 tubes (or PILA 168A).

bernie

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one KL4 option.

Strangly??? The word Kiessling appeared on one of the tubes. I tried to rub it off, and I just would reappear. :ohgeez: I must have been working too late into the night.:thumbsdow Kiessling...Kiessling...Kiessling...Kiessling...............:sleepy:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaocaholica said:
Does the KL4 have any issues running off of 3.7V Li-ion batteries? If not, what bodies/switches will allow me to use 18650s with the KL4 head?
There is at least one issue, the lumens are free.

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
TB, what kind of switches are compatible with the tubes you make? What's the one in the picture above?

Also, where can I buy these switches?

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
TB ... GREAT !!!! I *love* this tube!

Shaocaholica ... those tubes use 1x18650 Li-Ion and accept SF E-Series compatible heads and SF C-Series compatible switches.
In the pic above you see a KL4 and I guess a SF Z41 tailcap.

The cool thing of this set-up is a very balanced look and the possibility to use the ultra-robust Z48 or SW02 tailstanding clicky caps on E-Series and Aleph stuff. And imagine an Aleph3, this tube and a SW02 ... drool! :drool:

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Must add ... TB offers those tubes also in the conventional E-/E-set-up, like in this pic where an Aleph3 head mates with a TB-18650 E/E-tube and sports an Aleph Standard 2-stage Cap.

Aleph3TB168Asmall.jpg

bernie

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaocaholica said:
TB, what kind of switches are compatible with the tubes you make? What's the one in the picture above?

Also, where can I buy these switches?
Lighthound.com sells the Z41 for $20 each. A very sturdy and reliable switch. This switch can aslo be user upgraded to a two level switch.

TB

Kiessling

Flashaholic
There are a lot of threads with a lot of different tubes, and availability is subject to change as TranquilityBase is making them "on demand" ...l so you best check with him per PM to see what is available.
bernie

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Must add ... TB offers those tubes also in the conventional E-/E-set-up, like in this pic where an Aleph3 head mates with a TB-18650 E/E-tube and sports an Aleph Standard 2-stage Cap.

Aleph3TB168Asmall.jpg

bernie
I can't seem to find the Aleph standard switch on the Shoppe. Is there anywhere/anyone else who sells Aleph parts?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is my understanding that McGizmo has discontinued making the two stage switch. You may find them available at the Shoppe. I think they sell all the pieces in a kit that you put together.

faucon

Enlightened
Shaocaholica said:

I use my KL4 head with a Vital Gear FB2 body. It works beautifully with the new Pila 600s rechargeable batts (the newest model replacing the 168s). The 600s may or may not be a snug fit if inserted via the tailcap end, but it goes in easily if inserted via the bezel end of the FB2. Good luck!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp, Don discontinued the Aleph System and certain parts are becoming rare. I'd contact the Shoppe directly.
bernie