Preordered my SF Kroma

tristis

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to wait for these lights to come out so I could check out the reviews before putting down 200+ to get one but we've been doing a lot of camping lately and I have seen a real need for a bright white LED with a red low level option. We recently spent two weeks tent camping the Appalachian trail down to the Smokeys and then another week in northern PA for trout season and I have used my U2 almost exclusively because it does almost everything. The only problem is that 2 am leak break when you need to stumble out of the tent to relieve yourself. Even at the lowest setting the U2 completely destroys your night vision which makes that task really disorienting. I have an A2 with red LEDs but in the middle of the night picking the right light gets complicated. I'm really hoping that the K2 will be the combination light that will let me set up our tent after dark while also letting me take a nocturnal trip without being blinded. I also am praying it will take a rechargeable. Lets hope SF gets them out soon because I am planning trips for most of the summer.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right my u2 on the lowest is almost way to bright. some people think that it is not enogh light, but I think it is perfect or olmost to bright. I have clipped my u2 on my shirt a couple of times so I could take a pi$$ brake in the midlle of the night. I hope the k2 fits you perfectley and have a happy time camping

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the FM65. Got one on the way from Lighthound right now :)

It protects the lens from dirt and drops as well.

Another option is to use a red keychain for the late night leaks.... ;)

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
a gladius would have been a far better pick then a u-2 for that type of situation plus killer long life on low which is VERY low , perfect for not destroying your night vision
tristis said:
I've been trying to wait for these lights to come out so I could check out the reviews before putting down 200+ to get one but we've been doing a lot of camping lately and I have seen a real need for a bright white LED with a red low level option. We recently spent two weeks tent camping the Appalachian trail down to the Smokeys and then another week in northern PA for trout season and I have used my U2 almost exclusively because it does almost everything. The only problem is that 2 am leak break when you need to stumble out of the tent to relieve yourself. Even at the lowest setting the U2 completely destroys your night vision which makes that task really disorienting. I have an A2 with red LEDs but in the middle of the night picking the right light gets complicated. I'm really hoping that the K2 will be the combination light that will let me set up our tent after dark while also letting me take a nocturnal trip without being blinded. I also am praying it will take a rechargeable. Lets hope SF gets them out soon because I am planning trips for most of the summer.

Last edited:

tristis

Newly Enlightened
I had thought about a FM65 but it looks like it would make the bezel way too big to carry. Lets face it, the U2 is already too big to carry comfortably and the filter wouldn't help. I also use a V21 sheath which is made for the A2 but my U2 just fits in it. With the bezel it would probably be too big. Also, the main reason I am getting a K2 is because I am a flashaholic...must buy light...must buy light...

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
like i said you should have got a gladius everything you want and at the highest qualaty,if ya want to blow the gladius off thats fine but it a fine light if you want a k2 just to have a k2 then thats all right with me and i say yahoo to that
tristis said:
I had thought about a FM65 but it looks like it would make the bezel way too big to carry. Lets face it, the U2 is already too big to carry comfortably and the filter wouldn't help. I also use a V21 sheath which is made for the A2 but my U2 just fits in it. With the bezel it would probably be too big. Also, the main reason I am getting a K2 is because I am a flashaholic...must buy light...must buy light...

Last edited:

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
TENMMIKE said:
like i said you should have got a gladius everything you want and at the highest qualaty,if ya want to blow the gladius off thats fine but it a fine light if you want a k2 just to have a k2 then thats all right with me and i say yahoo to that

I doubt one less lumen is really going to help here. The red LEDs will do a far better job at preserving his night vision yet at the same time provide more usable light to see where he is going. The A2 would be ideal if not for the limited runtime of the incandescent. The Kroma should solve this. If they would replace the blue LEDs with green or uv I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

tristis

Newly Enlightened
Dang Temike, now you have piqued my interest. Guess I will have to get a Gladius just to keep my monkey happy. Luckily my son's birthday is coming up so I can justify it. Must buy another light...must buy another light...

faco

Enlightened
How do you get the U2 to fit in the V21 Sheath ? I ordered a V21 to go with my U2 and there is no way I can get it to fit in the sheath. I was told to cut the stitching down the bottom so the U2 can fit. I might try this, but also think that SUREFIRE can't get it right when they print specs on the site or the catalogs. They say the V21 is for the U2 but I don't think they tried this themselves. Actually their site and catalogs have many printing mistakes, from lumens to lengths/weights and wrong sheaths for particular lights.

But I still keep buying SUREFIRE lights though, I just have to double check the specs from now on :)

tristis said:

tristis

Newly Enlightened
Faco, my U2 fits the V21 without cutting any of the stiches. It is tight but the velcro closes firmly and I have never had it fall out even under some very active conditions. Probably the sheaths vary a bit in size. My son has a V21 for his A2 so I'll check the fit in his.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
i have both u-2 and gladius the difference on low is dramatic the u-2 simply does not go to a low enough, it is well known that its low is still to high for low light conditions, the gladius at low is not.
Chehalis said:
I doubt one less lumen is really going to help here. The red LEDs will do a far better job at preserving his night vision yet at the same time provide more usable light to see where he is going. The A2 would be ideal if not for the limited runtime of the incandescent. The Kroma should solve this. If they would replace the blue LEDs with green or uv I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

ront

Newly Enlightened
HI guys, I don't want to hijack this thread, but just saw that you were talking about a sheath/holster for the U2. I just wanted to say that I ordered a holster from John WIllis a while back and could not be happier. I am at home right now so I don't have his email address, but I think a search here would find it. Here are some pics of the one he made for me.

DSCN5637_edited-1.jpg

DSCN5632_edited-1.jpg

DSCN5635_edited-1.jpg

Ron