Fenix L2P Switch. Can I use as a twist?

zulu45

Enlightened
I've just ordered a Fenix L2P Type III Anodized, and I'm definately excited. I've even got a pair of Ni-MH (really for my digital camera, but I'll replace it eventually) waiting for it. I do have a question, though. The Fenix having a click switch, as all will, it will eventually wear out. I do know, though, that this has a lockout function. Is it safe to leave the light on, and use the lockout function as a twist switch, just like on my Inova X5T? I perfer that style, and it would reduce wear and tear on the switch.

Hehe, I can't wait for it to show up...

EDIT: Or, if it's not safe to use it as a twist switch, how hard is it to replace if (and when) it wears out, as in, how hard is it to find a switch? Or would I send it to Fenix for repair?

Last edited:

zulu45

Enlightened
Thanks for the link, but I was just wondering, more-so, if it's safe for the light. I really don't know anything about what's safe for a LED or what isn't, to be fully honest with you. Heh, I just wanna make sure it gets a lifetime of use (well, at least a long life).

EDIT: I think the reason I'm trying to do this, is because of all this I hear about switch failure. Just don't want this to become a paperweight, ya know?

Last edited:

oregonshooter

Enlightened
I'd just use it as a clicky if that's how you like it. There are replacements out there if it does go bad. Can't see an issue with doing what you described though either.

maglite

Newly Enlightened
Using the tail cap as a twistie will NOT damage the LED or electronics in any way. The electronics do not care how you remove volatge. However, considering the quality of the threads and the tolerances in teh manufacturing of the fenixs, I personally would not wan tto use the light as a twistie. I modded my L1P usign teh 10 ohm resistor using the switch to set level and twistie to turn on and off. Soon thereafter, i undid the mod, simply because i did not feel compfortable using the tailcap in this manner. IT seems as though the threads and o-rings would wear down rather fast.

just my two cents :)

zulu45

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just use it in the mode I'm in the mood for.