Car shopping decision time

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dust has settled mostly from my collision, the Insurance has paid off 3/4 of the value of the car and the gap claim is being filed. My old 2001 Rio had been restored to some what driving capacity and will be totally not wrecked looking when the new hood arrives next week. I have been cogitating my next auto.

Here is my short list in no specific order:

Kia Rio5 (mini mini wagon) aka Rio Cinco
Scion XA or XB (leaning to XB - I like odd)
Toyota Yaris
VW TDI Beetle

The Yaris and Beetle are pending my actually sitting inside them. I need enough legroom to allow my somewhat short leg to stretch out or my knee locks up. I had to trade off my Jeep Cherokee because the knee pain was horrendous.

I am not necessarily cheap but I don't see the need for big bucks being spent on a car new or used since it is a "use it up" consummable. My guitar and camera collections indicate I'm not cheap on durable goods. Status cars ain't necessarily my thing. One of my workmates keeps pushing me on a BMW or a Chrysler Charger or 300.

I am not putting rebranding of these cars by other companies (Rio-Accent) because they are similar and therefore would be considered especially if pricing is better. Any suggestions on these or any other's I have not necessarily listed? The Beetle is really at the upper limit of price tolerance so no suggestons of Lamborghinis or Silver Shadows ;)

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
You may want to take a look at a Mini Cooper. A little unusual, quite a few features, and a blast to drive. Also much roomier inside (both legroom and headroom) than you might expect (as long as you don't have to sit in the rear "seats.") It probably won't have the reliability of a Toyota, but should easily match that of a VW. I owned an '02 for 3 1/2 years before selling it with mixed emotions. Consumer Reports says the reliability is better now so I think it is worth considering. I wouldn't get the S (sport) or convertable - to pricey. Stick to the base model.

nirad

Enlightened
Have you looked at the new award winning Honda Fit? In a recent Car and Driver magazine review (May '06 " Seven 15,000 dollar compacts compared"), the Fit out performed the Yaris and Rio as well as a few others. Either auto would be a fine choice especially with thier fuel mileage stats around 38-40 m.p.g. The thing I don't like about the Yaris is the instrument cluster is in the middle of the dash??? It seems awkward to me.

When you make this big of an investment and have to keep it for years, it pays to be an informed consumer. Good luck on your decision.:)

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You sound like me, in that case, I would go for the scion xb because its a toyota and square or a vw diesel jetta or golf. I am a bit big and tall and do not think the bug would have enough room. THe mini is the size of a geometro, but man they have nice acceleration with the supercharger model. I wouldnt buy a mini since its too poor of fuel ecnomy for something that small. aif it got at least 40, I would put it back on my list.

My brother who owns a kia rio said he would buy another kia, but a size larger.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I'll vote for the XA, love the SCION, have you looked at the XC? The XB is OK but I hate the BOX look, The Chevy Cobalt is in the same price range if you want american and has gotten good reviews, has better crash test ratings than all of the others you have listed.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're looking at the scion xb you should also have a quick look at the mazda 5. I just bought one after also looking at the scion. It borders on being a wagon, only slightly larger outside, but felt like plenty more room inside. And it just won both the Japan and European crash tests as the best in it's class (american tests aren't in yet, too new a model) I also liked the Toyota matrix a lot, which is also a comparable model to those 2.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I know it's Korean, but I think the best buy in that price range is the Hyundai Elantra. A lot of car for the dough.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most all these cars look the same. It comes down more to which dealer doesn't try to gig me. I went to an (un named dealer) and the sales person who greeted me did not hook me up with the salesman I asked to meet (I had a specific friend of a friend to talk to). He then was confused on the models, trying to put me in the wrong car several times. Price was the same so there was no bait and switch, just a confused nitwit. I did like the fit of the (un named brand and model) I did manange to test.

I do have the luxury of time now as my poor battered Rio seems to be past it's hiccup today of stale gas. I can now afford to wait for the color and features of whatever I decide to buy.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a lot to add to this conversation except this observation.

I've owned a few used cars ranging from mostly used-up <my second car, ugh what a mistake> to lightly used (the like new Jeep I currently drive). In between all of those I've owned two new-off-the-lot cars.

I am NEVER going to waste the time and resources at a new car dealership again. Automobiles are NOT an investment regardless of what the salespeople and the TV ads want to have you believe and, for me, the additional cost of a factory new vehicle just isn't worth it.

As for your co-worker pushing the BMW or a Chrysler Charger or 300, what's he driving and how do his finances look? I have a co-worker who is soooo proud of his new BMW and yet, strangely, he is continuously whining about being broke...never can go out to lunch...screams in pain if he has to buy a new pair of shoes... gee I wonder where all his money is going. (oh and the worst, he's LEASING the BMW so in the end he owns...NOTHING).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been driving an '06 Civic automatic now for about 4 months and am very happy with it. The mileage has been 32-33 for my daily commute. Have not done a road trip yet. It's supposed to get 40 on the highway. The steering wheel tilts and telescopes, so you might be able to get comfortable. They cost a little more than some others, but you can't beat the reliability and resale. I'd also second nirad's recommendation to check out the Honda Fit. Haven't seen it myself, but if I was buying today its hatchback utility would be a big plus.

Geoff

Razor

Newly Enlightened
Well, Pellidon, it seems like you have a tendency towards small, elemental cars that have some perk to stand out from the crowd, given the cars you listed. If I remember right, was it your Rio that was lime green? If we stick to this trend, then things like the Chevy Cobalt, their Aveo, and the Mazda 3 can be ruled out. They all fit your budget, but their bigger size and relative blandness may ax them out for you.

But I would like to ask you a question, which is, what you would like to do with the car, and what you would like it to do for you?

If all you want is something to get you from point A to point B, then something like another Rio or an xA will do just fine (provided you aren't scared of driving next to trucks whose tires are as tall as the car). If, however, you want something with some zip-go once in a while - maybe a weekend jaunt through some twisty back roads - then the Mini would do much better. In terms of funk factor, the Mini really turns heads, whereas the Scions and Beetles don't get a second glance anymore from the sheer number of them on the roads. The Yaris does look like it's got some character, while the Honda Fit is a more toned down. But the good aspect of the Fit is that it is already a tried and true car. It has been sold in the European market for a while now as the Jazz, and has garnished rave reviews for generally being a great car.

It's like buying another flashlight. There's everything from the X1 and the Infinity Ultra to the L1P. It still depends on what your needs are.

As for a TDi Beetle, it will be a good choice only if you are willing to afford the rising cost of diesel and think it will pay off in the long run. For the cost of the TDi Beetle, also consider the Golf (soon to be renamed the Rabbit). It's in the Beetle's $17,000-$18,000 price range, with the same level of German engineering, but a bit more functionality.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm leaning more to the wagon/hatchback style so I can haul my bike without fear of it getting stolen. I had one swiped by pros as they had cutters to cut the cable lock and stole it off my car at a Church parking lot. Of all the cheek! The smaller format and Semi's don't bother me. My Jeep Cherokee was the absolute worst thing to have near/behind a truck as far as turbulence was concerned.

Fuel economy was the one thing I missed when I upgraded to the Spectra. I had to go 80 MPH to see 30 MPG. 25-27 (mostly highway) was the norm. My Rio got between 35-45 depending on various factors.

The freaky factor (odd shapes harsh colors) is fun but not essential. Fit and comfort are first. As I rent a lot of cars for my work I get to sample lots of different models, mostly midsized. I know what models and features don't fit well with me. HIgh Horsepower doesn't appeal to me like it did back when I was 25 and in my "Camaro" mode.

Resale value doesn't mean much either. I tend to buy a car and keep it until the wheels fall off. Then I donate the lifeless husk to Goodwill or some other charity. I have looked at some used models but in this area some of those prices are as high or close enough to new to make me scratch my head in total confusion.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm leaning more to the wagon/hatchback style

jesscar.jpg

redcar.jpg

Did I mention the mazda 5 yet? Go drive one, zoom zoom brother :D

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
The Beetle is quite spacious but a used TDI in any of the VW models is pricey. I have a friend in Maryland being shipped overseas. He's selling his 2006 Golf TDI with 6k miles. He will probably get within $1,500 of what he paid for it.

Break the mold. Get a Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 liter or the Excursion with the V10. You would be doing your part to help open ANWR. :)

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll definitely make a pitch for the VW TDI.

I never owned a diesel until my 2003 Golf TDI (Turbo Direct Injection). I bought it so that I could use American made, renewable fuel ...biodiesel. Now, biodiesel in my area is THE cheapest fuel you can buy ($2.65/gal vs. $2.75/gal for the least expensive gasoline).

I would have bought my Golf TDI no matter what it was like (within reason) because of that Flex Fuel ability to run petroleum fuels or renewable biodiesel. Now that I have owned it for 3 years... I love the car itself! It drives great, comfortably, reliable ...all good. And ...that hatchback design is like owning a mini-utility vehicle!

Diesel engines reach their best power band at around 2000 rpm vs. 4000 rpm for many gas engines. Think about it, as I motor down the highway at the same exact speed as all of my other gasoline driving fellows, my car's engine is turning at about half the speed. What do you think that does to the longevity of rings, valves, bearings and virtually every other moving part in the engine? ...half the wear! Half.

Shoot! With a diesel engine, you can even make your own fuel in your garage from waste fryer oil if you want to (for about $1/gal). Most people won't want to fool with that, but at least it is an option!

For used, the best year is 2003 (best mileage design) and the Jetta Wagon gives you the most volume in a vehicle that will give you 49 mpg. If you want new, VW has stopped production of diesels now for their 2006 model year, so whatever is on the lots right now is all there will be. For 2007, they are re-tooling to use the common rail design and there won't likely be any new VW diesels until 2008 at the earliest. So... shop now if you want a new one!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have to add after ikendu's post about diesel engines that if this model had an available turbo diesel I'd have ordered it that way in a moment. They sell one in europe for it, but not in the US, again.

I looked at the ones he mentions, but I fit much better in the 5, both price wise, and fit wise.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zat Mazda 5 got a rotary engine? Mazda's don't zoom- they Hmmmmmmmm...........

OOPS. showin' my neo vintageness there. :p

I'd get a Hummer but I couldn't cut the corner to get into my drive. No I wouldn't I don't want a 800 lb gorilla.

Thanks for the good ideas. And thanks to the Attorney who saved me several days wait and $7 by sending me a complimentary copy of my accident report so I don't have to get one myself for my records. One week after the incident and I'm dissapointed that I only have two adverts sent my way touting how they will have my best intere$ts at heart. No thanks, I don't work that way.

Latest posts