Best Luxeon I flashlight under $40

Illum

Flashaholic
Hello, I'm new to the forums,

Recently, I have been making comparisons between luxeon I's emphasizing mainly on throw and runtime from www.flashlightreviews.com :grin2: [Thanks Doug]

Any recommendation for lights under the criteria will be very helpful, thanks.
=> Luxeon I
=> 20 Lumens or higher
=> 4 hours or longer runtime
=> Water-resistant
=> Regulated output
=> Less than $75

I wanted a backup light to go with the XO, [or a light that turns the XO into a backup] no battery preference, but Lithium's are okay

INOVA XO [EDC], Streamlight Jr. Luxeon, Minimag with Nite-ize 3LED

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I may be speaking WAY out of turn here, but SL 4AA LUX at about $35ish is what I think you'll want....

Or maybe the SL 3C LUX.

I can tell you this about the 4AA. In quality dark I could see just as well with my 4AA LUX as with a P60 on 2x123. The P60 will be dead in about an hour. The 4AA LUX will be just as bright in 4 hours. Need I say more?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Streamlight 4AA...Interesting, Lemme see if Doug has a review

Thanks for the reply Joe!

Nice! the 4AA got a 5 star rating, [How come I never saw this before???]
$35 bucks, great deal!

Personally, which one would you prefer lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable for frequent usage and EDC illumination tools?

I dunno why I posted $75 in the criteria when i meanto to say $40. o well, trypical case of multi-tasking

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Pacific ... With 2 AA ... would be BEST in it's class...

Check it out its simple, very reliable, water proof, REGULATED and has a very good runtime. much in excess of 12 hours (estimated) with 2 AA.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread on the SL PP Lux AA here.

Cheers. :buddies:

Edit: I EDC the SL PP Lux AA and use nimh rechargeables, but have lithiums stashed in various places as backup.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
Streamlight 4AA...Interesting, Lemme see if Doug has a review

Thanks for the reply Joe!

Nice! the 4AA got a 5 star rating, [How come I never saw this before???]
$35 bucks, great deal!

]Personally, which one would you prefer lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable for frequent usage and EDC illumination tools?[/size]

I dunno why I posted $75 in the criteria when i meanto to say $40. o well, trypical case of multi-tasking

For $40, the Streamlight (4AA), Electrolumens (2D), Fenix L1P (1xAA) and Nuwaii Q3 (1xCR123A) are basically the ones that come to mind. For runtime, the Electrolumens wins with 8 plus hours on 2D cells. Next in runtime is the Streamlight at 4 hours (higher on lithium AA) then the L1P at around 2-3 hour and last is the Q3 at over one hour.

I find the Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon 4AA the most likely to fill your needs since you said throw first. The SL PP 4AA is the throw monster out of all the lights listed and will run on alkaline, NiMH rechargable or lithium AA cells. Since you said you would use it all the time, running on 2500mAH NiMH would be the best idea...over 4 hours of runtime.

carrot

Flashaholic
Take a look at the Fenix L2P. It's slimmer than the other suggestions (except maybe the Peak Pacific, which doesn't have the 2AA tube yet) and meets all of your criteria.

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
A 2nd for the Fenix L2P.

It's like $38 now, runs on AA type batteries, is fairly water-resistant (not proof), has excellent output, is very well regulated, and if you use NiMHs, you can get 4 hours of output if you use AA lithiums, you should get about 5 hours of output.

Illum

Flashaholic
World of thanks to the elites, and their answers:goodjob:

Watching photons fly with in the quality darkness is my kind of heaven....:huh:

Raven

Enlightened
My advice is to avoid Streamlights.

It sounds like the Fenix L2P is exactly what you need.

greenLED

Flashaholic
What Empath said about what "best" is. If you can get your hands on a UK 4AA eLED, they're also great lights, and their regulation seems to go foreeeeeeeeever (not scorching bright, but despite what everyone raves about here - including me - brightness is the when it comes to certain uses).

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I would say the Fenix L2P meets your criteria perfectly. Plus it has way more than 20 lumen out put.

Also, a Minimag with the Terralux TLE-5 comes close to your requirements. It is not fully regulated, but will provide approximately 6 hours of run time with minimal dimming.

randyo

Enlightened
If it's not gonna be a pocket light, and size is not an issue, it's impossible to beat the Electrolumens Blaster-1R at $19.99. It's built like a tank. It's 3/4" shorter than a 2D mag, with a smaller head/reflector. Beam is biased towards throw rather than flood. It doesn't have quite the throw distance as the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon, but it out-throws the Fenix L1P/L2P series. Can't beat a 2D light's runtime either. If you haven't already seen them, I have some beamshots posted here:

Beamshots

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow. . .What the others mentioned regarding the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon or even the one that PlayboyJoeShmoe alluded to—Streamlight 3C ProPolymer Luxeon.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix products are very good. Small size, bright light, easily acquired battery-literally anywhere in the world. Also, world class design and construction, while maintaining a reasonable price point.

The Triton P1 is very similar to the Fenix L1P, and priced likewise.

However, the Docy Super 1 watt x123 as someone else mentioned is excellent. It has the whitest beam of any I've seen. It's nearly as bright as my 3 watters, and has an excellent beam shape that's incredibly useful. Wide super bright hotspot, with a large bright spill beam. Actual runtime is about 2-1/2 hours to 50%. The main drawback to this light is the battery. Although, 123s can be had from about a buck apiece, if you need one in TimBucToo, you're going to pay a premium price. Also, there was another review comparing this light to the Nuwai Q3, which is a 3 watt x 123. The beam characteristics, and physical size are so similar, they could be twins. The lowly Dorcy 1 watt had about the same performance as the 3 watt Nuwai.

Heres a review:
http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/DRCY1W123.htm

the above review had different runtime results from other reveiws including my own real world use. All reveiws except the one I linked to, have runtimes at about 2-1/2 hours. Incidentally, it's less than $20 from Target.

Last edited:

robk

Enlightened
Can the Dorcy Super 1 watt x123 safely handle RCR123's? I've burned up 2 homemade buck converters with rechargeable (unprotected Soshine and MP) 123's so far. They come off the charger at over 4VDC, I don't know what they drop to under load, still have to test that.
Thanks,
Rob

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's not gonna be a pocket light, and size is not an issue, it's impossible to beat the Electrolumens Blaster-1R ...

Agree with that .