CPF Mythbusters

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Mythbusters, for those who don't know, is a show on discovery channel in which two guys test out myths by reenacting them or whatnot. A lot of the time, they make ballistics gel models of people and administer the tests to them.

I think it would be cool to elect our own CPF Mythbusters, to test out whatever "myths" we tell them to. This is the kind of stuff I'd be looking for.

Some myths we'd try out:
-Exploding Li-ion batteries
-Surefire's customer service
-Exaggerations put out my marketers
-Flashlights for self defense

Whadda ya think? :grin2:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why exploding Li-Ion and SF Customer Service sould be possible myts. I had many replacements and warranty repaires done by them and so far no complaints(even right now I have a KL1 and an A2 in their shop to be worked on).

As for the LiIon, I invite you to test it out youself, tell us what happened when you are done, I sure the hell ain't gonna do it. I had 2 Li Ion cells over heat on me so I KNOW they will expode with an enclosed tube(like a light body)

underdust

Newly Enlightened
I would volunteer to do some more "testing". I had actually planned some similarly-themed follow up threads after I sawed through that MiniMag, but I never got around to it.

The one that I was really hoping to do was to test out the best way to clean a reflector. I have about 6 - 8 plastic Mag reflectors sitting around, and I wanted to try various methods to try and clean an oily fingerprint from the surface.

If there's any interest in that, I may try to do it. I'm open to suggestions for possible cleaning methods.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
To clean Mag reflectors, try alcohol or Windex and nasal tissue like Cleanax.
I've never attempted this before, but it might be interesting to see what kind of results you have.

underdust

Newly Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
I've never attempted this before, but it might be interesting to see what kind of results you have.

Good suggestions. I was also thinking of dish detergent, since it is supposed to clean oily pots and pans. Also, regular hand soap seems to remove oil from the surface of your skin, maybe that would be worth testing too.

Looks like I may have to follow through with this one. Maybe in the next couple of weeks.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The_LED_Museum said:
Who was it that had a huge lot of mag reflectors for sale?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about rather pointing a laser pointer in your eye causes blindness?

I rather see them figure out how much explosives it takes to blow the tail cap or head off of a light or remove the crap from coroded batteries.

Then the last ten minutes of the show, use 500-800 pounds of explosives to just see what happens.

*Retired*
glockboy said:
Exploding Li-ion batteries is not a Myth.

Very true!

There are plenty of videos out there demonstrating this, and I've seen the SureFire cells get quite rambunctious, first hand.

I also have seen equipment physically blown apart by Lithium Ion cells.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use running water and various kinds of soap (usually dish detergent) to wash reflectors of lights in my collection. 60+ and going strong. Dry with tissue. Alcohol is good, too, although not so much for heavy cleaning. Avoid Windex or other ammonia-based cleaners since many times they will dissolve or craze the silvering (actually aluminum).

TorchMan

Enlightened
I can comment on the laser causing blindness thing, but not first hand. I also would practically beg that no one try this, it's just not worth it.

Years ago I ran a phone bank, which was an outbound call center. We had some high school students from a school for the "gifted" working there. One of them took a laser pointer shaped like a bullet, and stared into it for over ten minutes (by the time I noticed) straight, point blank to his eye. I didn't give him an eye exam, but he didn't seem blind then or later. I took the pointer away though, and admonished him to never let me see it again. Proof that even the highly intelligent can do stupid things.