Maglite K2?

DShealey

Newly Enlightened
New member here. Gadget loving Engineer in San Diego.

Just found the forum last night.

New to LED lights, have been waiting for some time now for them to reach the power/price point to make them acceptable to me.

First foray into LEDs was purchase of a two pack of Sam's Club 3 AAA 1 watt "Element" lights. These were pretty impressive for the price so I went back and got another package. Basically they are brighter and much smoother light than my Maglite 3D incandescant lights!

I have 5 3D maglites I want to convert to at least 3 watt LED, and have been watching that market for a couple months now. I placed an order for 5 of the K2 conversions at $24.95 ea from "Quality Items Online", but after weeks of waiting, called and they still have not gotten the white modules from Luxeon. :awman:

Was gambling that they were actually going to be better than the already available 3 watt conversions at $19.95 ea.

Now Maglite is going to have 3 watt conversions, Action-Lights price around $17. Of course at this time they are also "vapor-ware".

Not sure whether to keep waiting on the K2's, or get the $19.95 conversions, or wait on Maglite's conversions.

Anyone here have any comments on what they think the differences in these three are/will be? Worth waiting longer for the K2's?

changsn

Newly Enlightened
I think Maglite's entry into LED's will be nothing short of earth shattering. Their buying power will tend to drive others out of business. Although they may not be cutting edge or best of breed, they will have quality product at exceptional pricing. It will be tough for Diamond, NiteIze or others to keep up - and this may mean the Chinese clone guys too (of course that's probably where most of Mag's products are made). So if you can't wait for Mag, Diamond may be able to deliver sooner, but if you can wait, I suspect you'll save some $$.
Sam

DShealey

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
DSHealy: Just wait until you discover the world of Surefire!

Oh I have seen them, a friend has one. Just too expensive at this point in time. Not trying to get the top of the heap lights, just really good LED light, and already have five of the Maglite 3-D cell lights I do not want to relegate to the trash heap.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have quite of few Mags, you might want to just wait it out until Mag releases their upgrade modules. The guy from Diamond had posted a while back that he expects to drop his prices on the DB3W since he's going to be "forced to" to remain competitive once the Mag product hits the market, so it may just end up being a win-win situation. And he may have the K2s available by then as well. And if the Mags do the job for you, you may be able to pick them up locally as you need them without having to pay the shipping charges that will probably exceed what you would pay in sales taxes (and at least part of the taxes will go back into your community.)