Does anybody know anything about a Surefire 7Z???

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yep. Long since discontinued.

I have one. In fact I also have the T4 TurboHead for it.

The 7Z is the CombatLight version of the 6R.
The body does not have an extention tube though.

The 7Z is powered by the B65 NiCad battery stick and now-a-days you can use the P60 Lamp. The 7Z is a bit longer than a 9Z but shorter than a 12ZM.

P43.jpg

This shows how much longer than a 9Z it is:
P97.jpg

(about 10 mm I guess)

The one on eBay has been upgraded with a Z32 shock isolated bezel. This makes sense if it was used as a dutylight and you can see by the TailCap how many times it has been dropped. Gives it character but I would get a Z41 LockOut TailCap for it so the switch can be disabled.

Would I buy another one? Nope. I got mine because it came with the T4 TurboHead which is extremely rare. The 7Z itself is worth getting only if you want to complete your collection of classic SureFires (imho)

Al

Kiessling

Flashaholic
What are "MZ90" and "LU20"?
And why does your SW02 look different than mine? Is yours without the rubber shroud?
bk

Size15's

Flashaholic
Kiessling said:
What are "MZ90" and "LU20"?
And why does your SW02 look different than mine? Is yours without the rubber shroud?
bk

"MZ90" is a part number I made up for the proto-type component that replaces the MH90 Millennium WeaponLight Housing. "Z" for CombatGrip.

"LU20" is a standard part, although I believe SureFire have scaled back its prominance with regards to advertising. It's the Lamp Module for the Millennium WeaponLight 'M98' series that creates a four-SF123A version using the same lamps as the M4. Depending on what you read it is also the modern "LeopardLight" for snipers although this term refers to a variety of model options including those constructed of the M4.

The rubber shroud of the SW02/Z48/Z49 can be removed but I have not yet managed to replace one. Caution is advised since removing the shroud is most likely a one-way procedure.

Does this answer your questions?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
The rubber shroud on the Z48 can be removed (albeit with difficulty) and replaced without damage but it isn't recommended. I removed mine to reduce its length and made a good job of making it look like it came that way. personally I found the shroud made pressing the switch a little too hard. However, the whole point of the shroud is to protect the switch from accidental activation and damage. In a tactical environment I'd leave it as it comes!

Doug

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Al said:
Does this answer your questions?

Yes. But I have more. :p

So this cool looking LU20 thingie accepts 2xCR123, the Millenium-Series heads (KT4, KL6) and C-Series switches?
Where can I get one? :D

And when I completely cut off the rubber on the SW02 ... this will unveil another rubber button like in your pic ... or is this the carefully cut-out rest of the big rubber boot?

bernie

EDIT: or is the rubber shroud seperate from the rubber button?

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Kiessling said:
Yes. But I have more. :p

So this cool looking LU20 thingie accepts 2xCR123, the Millenium-Series heads (KT4, KL6) and C-Series switches?
Where can I get one? :D
Yes, the LU20 Lamp Module housing body accepts two-SF123A batteries.
Yes, the LU20 Lamp Module housing body accepts the "Millennium Series" bezels ("M3", Millennium TurboHead, KL2 & KL6).
No, the LU20 Lamp Module housing body will not accept TailCaps - more precisely, the threads are shorter as it is designed to screw into a WeaponLight housing such as the MH90. (I just tried a Z41, SW02 and Z58).

As for where to get one, your friendly SureFire Dealer should be able to order you one. Remember the LU20 is the whole Lamp Module, housing body, TurboHead & lamp assembly(s). You can not get the Lamp Module housing body by itself.

Kiessling said:
And when I completely cut off the rubber on the SW02 ... this will unveil another rubber button like in your pic ... or is this the carefully cut-out rest of the big rubber boot?

bernie

EDIT: or is the rubber shroud seperate from the rubber button?

The rubber shround is very much seperate from the rubber push button. You can force the shroud off without having to cut it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx Al !! :thumbsup:

If the LU20 can't accept a reasonable tailcap ... it is not my thing. And I guess the price of the combo you mentioned will be even less my thing :D :aaa:

bk

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one. Mint condition / brand new. Got it when it when it first came out. I was heavily into 6R's at the time. I still have the R60 lamp assemblies too!
I've considered running two R123's with a P90 bulb in it but haven't yet. Too many other lights.

rikvee

Enlightened
Image018.jpg

no rubber shroud on this switcheroony (a Z49) either, instead an A2/L1/L2 lanyard clip that fits neatly in the groove left behind...

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone has a 6R or 7Z they want to run a P90/91 in off three lithiums, I've been making spacers for that purpose. Turns any B65 Surefire into a virtual 9P.

spacers.jpg

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now thats what I've been lacking. PM me and I'll order a couple. Pay Pal ?

ABTOMAT said:
If anyone has a 6R or 7Z they want to run a P90/91 in off three lithiums, I've been making spacers for that purpose. Turns any B65 Surefire into a virtual 9P.

spacers.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
crouchingrooster said:
does the 7z head work on any other surefire lights???

The 7Z & 6R featured the same bezel and R60 Lamp Assembly.

The bezel is standard and the same one as used by the 6P and 6Z etc.
Now-a-days the standard 6P/Z2 etc bezel remains interchangeable.

The R60 Lamp Assembly was discontinued and replaced by the standard P60.
So you can power the P60 from the B65 NiCad battery stick.

SureFire currently offers two rechargeable kits:
KR2 for the 6P (featuring the A14 body-extending adapter)
KR1 for the G2 (featuring the AN14 body-extending adapter) *
(*this comes in a choice of black (BK), yellow (YL) or olive drab (OD) depending on which colour G2 you have)

The kit includes a CN211 AC & DC rapid/smart charger system, a B65 battery, and a body-extending adapter.

Currently, 6P+A14 = 6R, and G2+AN14 = G2R

Does this answer you question?